Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish Fighting
F1sh
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 5
male usa
i was messing around the internet and found that people actually fight fish like they would a chicken or a dog

is this illegal?

-a solidary predator, the firetruck stalks its prey
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 00:40Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Clicky.

In most western countries, yes. Are the laws enforced? Well...

It's much easier to cover up fish fighting than, say, dog fighting. When you stumble upon a dog fighting training facility, there are very obvious signs what it is. A betta fighting operation can easily disguise itself as a simple betta breeder.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 00:55Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
IMO, people that fight fish must be extremely easily amused. My dad lived where bettas are native, and as a kid he recalls having caught fish to raise and fight. Not much can actually happen in a betta fight, and there's really no point to it. A betta fight is either one-sided, as in the loser swims away, or extremely long and drawn out jaw-locking; jaw-locking can extend from a few minutes to several hours before a winner is determined. In either situation, fish actually don't get much physical damage, although jaw-locking does tire the fish out immensely; in the wild a loser may even be able to escape due to plants and being in a large habitat. I'd expect the actual damage to occur after a winner is determined, and the loser is only trying to escape, but can't due to man-imposed confines.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 02:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
desertfish
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 6
male usa
To be honest even in Asia its not as popular as it used to be. Now about 100-200 years ago the reports said that it was rampant and that people would bet money, houses, and even other people on the outcome of fights. Personally I don't agree with blood sports, with that said where I live you can cross the river and watch bullfights, another senseless blood sport.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 02:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies