---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Talk to me people, what do you know about them. Tank size, eating habits, personality?

Saw some for $40 in the shops today, puffers always steal my heart, thought FW would be easier than going to the dark side.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2010 05:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
There are many diff puffers the bigger ones can grow to 2ft and the smallest barely a inch..... so if u dont know what type cant say much about them other than most are preatty aggressive and and big fin nippers and need snails or crayfish everyonce and awhile....
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2010 04:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
Votes: 1
male usa us-california
hi bable i forgot to thank you for the help you gave me with my tank last year ok but down to ur topic puffers are agresive fish and have beak like teeth that are constantly growing and MUST have some kind of snail or invertabe to munch on to grind them down its nearly impsibel to breed them in home aquariums but most (b/c im not sure the species) require brackish water just saying you might have to go halfers and will get along with others of the same species fine when their young but will turn when they get older but, i feed mine live food like shrim and stuff im not even sure there is a prepeared food for puffers havent looked hope i helped

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2010 00:24Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
MissFish
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
female usa
Hi Babel~
As far as freshwater puffers go there really isn't such a thing. "FW" pufers are actually brackish water fish, and I have even heard of people slowly weaning them on to saltwater as they get older. I have heard that it's necessary, but I'm not 100% sure it is.

Also, they are not as innocent as they look, as I'm sure you know being a puffer lover They will even go so far as to destroy each other's fins.

They eat a lot, and as everyone is saying, they need their beak filed down with hard shelled inverts.

I'm not sure what kind of puffers you were looking at, but $40.00 seems WAYYYY overpriced for most puffers, especially FW ones. Usually they go for about $8.00 a piece. Then again, maybe the prices in your area are different?

The only thing I have seen them successfully kept with are catfish, and that's only because most puffers are midlevel swimmers, and most cats swim along the bottom.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, you know where to post!

Brandi
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2010 03:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
male newzealand
As far as freshwater puffers go there really isn't such a thing. "FW" pufers are actually brackish water fish, and I have even heard of people slowly weaning them on to saltwater as they get older.

If you ignore the handful, such as the Brazilian puffer "Colomesus asellus" iirc that actually are freshwater and only tolerate light brackish.
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2010 12:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Kudos: 78
Here is a link for dwarf puffers I found in my search to learn more about them. http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=f5ef7d20aec6f9fa9215205797f31642 I hope the link works
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2010 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Thanks Ira and zeke,
ya that link worked. Might give it a thought again later, they do seem somewhat on the high care end of the spectrum, plus the various shops seem to think it's ok for their stock to be mistreated so I'm not so keen on buying from them.

I need to go back diving on flinders reef, there are some great SW ones that hang out there .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2010 21:33Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 200
female usa
When I was looking into Dwarf Puffers I came across this really good site: http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2010 16:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies