L# Fresh water pipefish!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFresh water pipefish!
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 53
Votes: 0
Hi I was out today and saw a little pet shop and they had a few tanks with the usual, mollys, neons etc the tanks wernt fantastic but they had somthing I have never even heard of before, they were selling it simply as pipe fish and were unable to give me the scientific name for it but ive done a bit of research and im fairly certain it is Syngnathus scovelli or the gulf pipe fish.

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=21424&cid=4150&search= thats an article about them.

I was just wondering if anyone had any info about them? On that site he says 5-6 can be kept in a ten gallon? Is this right because I was looking for a smaller tank and that might be the ideal candidate for it? So yeah any info would be aprciated. Thanks Andy
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 00:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
Well i know that they are saltwater fish here because they are found in shallow waters here in florida. They may be brackish but i doubt they would survive in a full fresh environment. They like to hide in sea grass. Thats all i know about them.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
there are a few fish under the name pipefish,

there are freshwater and saltwater, but i think the freshwater is mostly brackish.

I certainly remember a image of a pipefish with killie fish in one of my fish books.

But, 5-6 in a 10 gallon isnt correct. These fishes will usually grow over 5-6 inches so that is to much for a 10 gallon. They would love soft substrate like sand.

the saltwater pipe fish is alot larger and i believe is a green based color, the freshwater one has like red bars down its body.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 01:31Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 53
Votes: 0
Yeah I thought it was a bad bit of advice really. The one I saw was really small 3 inch max and it was hiding behind a filter. Im not sure if it was actually being kept in light brackish as there were mollys in there.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I think im going to leave it as I didnt want much bigger than a 10 (the old plans for a 29 went out the window ) I think im gona set up a betta tank with females just 2 ^^.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 01:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies