Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGoing on vacation for 10 weeks
eogle
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 56
male usa
Im going on vacation this summer for 10 weeks. I have a 10 gallon with 6 serpae tetras and 1 amano shrimp. I have no live plants.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have my girlfriend's parents keep my fish in their 75 gallon. I would put a lot of my gravel in a mesh bag and put it their aquarium and I would run my filter on their's too (maybe). They have two silver dollars and a gourami. They have no live plants, and just one large piece of PVC piping for hiding places (they are going to retire the tank when those fish die).

I'm worried about my shrimp being able to survive against the silver dollars, and I'd like advice on if this is a smart setup for 10 weeks. I can always ask them to maintain the 10 gallon for me as it is, but it would be more work on them. Thanks.

-Eric
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 06:44Profile PM Edit Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 270
Votes: 8
male canada
Being realistic, they would probably find it a hassle to maintain your 10 gallon for 10 weeks unless you two are incredibly close.

If you do move your fish to their 75g, i dont' think you'd need to have your gravel in a mesh bag, i'm assuming their tank is already cycled. For your shrimp, i'd say the other fish would definitely eat it. My only advice would be to find some suitable container (1 or more gallons?) to keep the shrimp in, and have the shrimp inside with gravel from your old tank and such. It would be transportable and easy for your girlfriend's parents to keep. I don't know how sensitive the amano shrimp would be, but I would think that's your best bet.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 07:59Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
eogle
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 56
male usa
I was going to keep my gravel in their aqaurium so that the bacteria in my gravel would remain living. This way, I wouldn't have to recycle my quarium when I get back. How else could I ensure not having to re-cylce the tank?

-Eric
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 08:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies