SubscribeHow often do you feed
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
EditedEdited by stealth114
OK.. thanks for that Shingami.. I had the assumption that they consumed a more veggie type based diet based on looking at someone's fish diet outline on this site..

They do enjoy several insects like mosquitoes and the larvae. I just dont want to get them too used to fish flakes mainly because its processed. I may try a few diffferent brands for variety...

I saw Acidrain talking about quality of fish food... What brands of high quality fish flake will you recommend. I tend to buy the loose one from the dispensary which is cheaper but IM thinking of going for a different brand..

As you said these fishes ( mollies, platies, angels) are generally carniverous, will they even consume tiny fishes I put for them as food?

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I use TetraMin Pro, it's a pretty good flake that's given me good results. I'm not sure what the "best" flake food is, if there is any. As far as I know, there's no flake that's vastly superior to all the other ones.

Not all meat is the same. Most small carnivores such as mollies, platies, and danios tend to feed on invertebrates such as worms, crustaceans, and insects. That's not to say that they won't eat really tiny fish, it's that it's not part of their main lifestyle to hunt fish and won't add that much to their health. Angels do consume fish, even small tetras, but this is not their main diet; they also tend feed on organisms such as worms and crustaceans. In the home aquarium, Daphnia (water fleas) and bloodworms (red midge or mosquito larvae) are good foods that can be used; these animals, or close relatives, are often found in the natural habitats of fish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 21:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
Great stuff Shinigami.. Also, I like your avatar pic alot. is it a mudskipper

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 06:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 08-Feb-2008 06:26
This post has been deleted
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies