AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# How on earth can I get rid of all these snails?
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow on earth can I get rid of all these snails?
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
I've got MTS, small pond snails, and ramshorn snails. But I dont have an overabundance of any of them but I dont overfeed.

I like the snails, they stir the substrate like mentioned, and are good at keeping the plants algea free.. they can in those small places, and on the fine leafed plants... So mine pretty much live off the little algea that grows...None have eaten any plants, plant mulm yes, but not the living plants.

But I have noticed that when I do feed the plec's cucumber or zuchini- they swarm it- so I think that would be a good way to get rid of them if they arent wanted in the tank.
Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2010 03:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I've had a couple "snail blooms." I completely cleaned my 10g out and started over because I simply couldn't keep up with them. Now, I hand pick them and sometimes use algae wafers to collect them. I don't mind a few but being overrun is no fun. I tried the loaches and couldn't keep them alive long enough for them to have an impact on the snails. That bummed me out, becasue the Kuhli loaches and the clowny were so neat to watch. I think my 8.2 pH is just too high for them.

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2010 01:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies