L# I have been such an idiot! I need help really really badly
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI have been such an idiot! I need help really really badly
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 53
Votes: 0
Well as some of you will have noticed on the board. I have recently bought a new tank.

It is a Jewel Trigon 350. The initial problem arose when i realised the filter was going to be hard to take out. So half way through cutting through the sealant i start to panic about scratching the glass so I ring up the manufacturer and they advised me to seal up the sides to repair any damage caused. Which i have done, its been 3 days since i did that and have now transfered the fish

Problem 2! I have moved the fish in THE most stupid way ever!

I started by taking out half the tank decor and plant and try to take the gravel out. The water because really murkey but was still being moved by the filter. After getting half the gravel out i spread it out over the base of the new tank and start to get the fish out of the old tank and into a ten gallon tub and also a tank i have now.

I then tried to get as much water across as possible. Along with some more gravel, the fish were very hard to catch as well so didnt make much help.

So when the water level was such that the filter wasnt processing it anymore i imediatly toook the pads out and put them into the jewel canister int he bastkets along with some of the new pads as it was about time for new pads. But....it then took me 30-40 mins to fill the rest of the tank from old water and new dechloirnated water. And so as a result I am massivly panicing about the fish and the situation of the filter.

based on current fish behavior though... I dont think bad things are happening. My keyhole cichlids are out in the open and free swimming and for the past 6 months I have had to look through the outside window to see them, my mum was convinced they had died how ever they are now all over and the male is being a bit of a thug. The rainbow fish i have are showing good colour - very bright and vivid rather than dark.
The only fish showing trouble is my big angel fish, however he has only been added in about 20-30 mins ago he was in a 10 gallon tank just while i got everyone else settled.

But what do you guys think - will things be okay? Or should i have buckets at the ready?

The preivious filter was about year and a half old.

thanks
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 22:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
If the tank looks okay I'm not sure you'll have any issues in regards to Problem 1. If the issue was whether or not your tank would leak, it might've been a good idea to test your tank before putting your fish in. But I assume by now if it was going to leak it would have.

With Problem 2 I am not sure what mistake you made... based on your description you did all right.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 22:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Its not leaking because i drew lines on it lol with drywipe marker.

I jsut really think that i should have set the tank half way up then moved the fish then filled it up. Im really worried i stressed them out a lot.

Also does anyone have any tips for moving Angel fish out of tanks? Mine dsnt really fit in my net anymore I felt really bad using it.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 22:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Yes, it would've been better if your new tank was set up before moving the fish over. On the other hand, a tank move can be done well without it. Case in point, some people want to put their new tank in the same place as their old tank, and thus it's impossible to move the fish to the new tank without taking everything out of the old tank first. These moves still can be done successfully, even without having the new tank set up yet.

If your fish were majorly stressed out they might be lying around listlessly, showing pale coloration, breathing rapidly, hiding out, etc. On the other hand, by your description your fish are reacting pretty well. You should be fine.

For fish that can't be caught in nets, people say chasing the fish into a container is a good idea, but I've never had much success with this considering my tanks are rectangular and the containers I have around the house are almost always round, allowing the fish to get around them pretty easily. You could just get a bigger net. Nets can get rather large for use in fish ponds as well as by sports fishermen, and considering angels don't grow that big there should be a big enough net for you out there.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 22:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Ty for all the help as usual

Problem number 3 - the keyhole cichlid who this morning couldnt bear to be out in the tank while im in the room is now ferouciously claiming teritory against a small severum and a medium to large angelfish - who usually kicks him around the tank!

Could this be breeding? Also never had to deal with cichlid agression any tips? They dont fight with any other fish just between the cichlids.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2008 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Just claiming territory.
However, mentioning again, angelfish are schooling cichlids and dont do well on their own or in pairs, unless breeding, and i doubt you do have a breeding pair.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 23:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
I only have one angelfish, and he was part of a breeding pair and i had raised fry from them until the female died of an internal bacterial. I would like to get him a friend or 2 though but depends on how he would appreciate it and if i can find a same size.

It is the keyhole cichlids that i think that could be breeding.

Update on the fish in general - They seem to be very hungry now, the angelfish is a little nervous but he pulls round. Got lots of new plants today from an LFS (very cheep) because the ones I got from the net have all died of 100 plants i have 5-10 in my tanks still alive.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 01:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies