SubscribeI love my new python water changer
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
EditedEdited by fish patty
I got a python for Christmas & it actually worked, even though in an old post on here that I read, someone had a weird faucet like mine & were told they couldn't use a python. Admittedly, hubby went to the hard ware store & bought a round white plastic piece with threads on both the inside & outside of it. He took the end metal piece off of our faucet along with the aerator & screwed the new piece onto the faucet. Now the python worked.

When I was done I just left the white piece on the faucet. So it looks strange & the water doesn't come out all nice & pretty & even, without the aerator, but we don't care. We could take the new piece off & put the faucet back together the way it was, but we don't care to. Now I'm all ready for the next water change........... just need to screw the python onto the end of the faucet & I'm ready.

Apparently we had a cheap faucet & the end was too little for the python to attach to.

Anyway............ no more stealing the kitchen trash can to drain the tank water into & then dragging it a couple of trips half full of water to the outside. And no more carrying a gallon of water at a time to fill the tank back up! I have a 55 gal., so I made a few trips there! So I highly recommend a python for a larger tank & a knowledgeable person to find the right fitting for it if you have an odd faucet.

PS- Supposedly you leave your faucet water running while your cleaning your tank, so the python will work......... but I also read on here that once it's working you can turn your water off so it's not wasted & the python will keep working. I tried it & it worked. So those of you that didn't know this, now you can use your python without wasting water.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 22:23Profile PM Edit Report 
cbcinnie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 49
Votes: 8
female usa
I hadn't thought of trying my python with the water off. Thanks for the idea!

I only have a 29 gallon tank but I love my python!
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa
Your welcome cbcinnie. That's why I reput the info. on here hoping someone might like the idea of saving water, or their septic tank, especially those in Australia where the draught is.

"I only have a 29 gallon tank but I love my python!"

I agree. To me, the python is now like the DSL I recently got. Once you have it, you don't want to go back.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
I love my python too! I got it last summer and I never miss a water change now simply casue it is a dream come true. Mine works fine although I like to keep the water on while I do it as it goes faster and has more suction. Today was the first water change for the new 55 gallon and I cant imagine not being able to do a water change with out my python. My rams love to watch the debris go up and out of the tank lol. Im glad you got one patty and I reccomend anyone who doesnt have one to get one as it makes the hobby SOO much more enjoyable./:'
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 02:46Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

There's only one problem with my python now Punk.

Now I'm going to have to find some other semi hard work to do to keep my muscles built up since I don't have to haul water anymore.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 05:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cbcinnie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 49
Votes: 8
female usa
LOL
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 20:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Congrat's on the Python.

I can sympathize with the bucket lugging. I HATE IT!! I have been eyeing one for a while now. All I need now is my tax return from Uncle Sam

Glad to hear so many people give it a good review.

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 20:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

slick- I saw where petsmart usually sells them for about $29, but right now they were advertising them for about $23 (at least on one site I went to). And if you are industrious & want to save even more money, here is a site that has DIY inst.:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_python.php
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 21:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Fish,

Well I got one yesterday and I love it! Money well spent. I threw all my old gallon jugs of water in to the recycling bin!

Here it is in action.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 16:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Congrats slick!

We've both now come over to the "easy side."

I love your planted tank! You ought to put a pic of it on here sometime.

Cool lamp too. You aren't a fan by any chance are you?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 17:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
I've had the Python for a little over a year and I love it. When I first got my 60 gal., I had to fill it up with a little bucket that didn't fit in the basement sink...so i'd either go upstairs to the tub or use a smaller hose and have the water leak out of that hose into the bucket. Took me forever. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the python..best investment any fish lover could get..definetly!!
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 23:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Fish,

Thanks for the complement of the tank. If you want to see some pictures you can check out my log in the Planted Forum.

Here

Cool lamp too. You aren't a fan by any chance are you?

Is it that obvious. Hmmm I wonder why.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 23:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

DUH!

Well, you can tell how observant I am slick!

I HAVE seen that tank before.......... it just slipped my mind as to who's it was. Well, I love it even better now that I see the whole thing.

Sorry to read about your rams. I have been wanting some myself. In fact we were carrying on a discussion about rams in another thread of mine. "It's titled, "My angelfish are laying eggs in hard well water." It's in the cichlid forum. I think you would find it very informative.

Now I'm off subject again.

Wow brattty, it sounds like you had a harder time of it than I did! I would NOT have done the stair thing!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 00:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MtbGirl
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 19
Votes: 0
female usa
Why have I not heard of this Python before??? It sounds wonderful!! We'll be moving this year, by the summer, so we may hold off on purchasing one until we know exactly what our setup will be. What a great idea... I can't wait to try it out!!

Our tank: 45 gallons
7x Cardinal Tetras 7x Black Neon Tetras
7x Glowlight Tetras 2x Ottos 2x Ghost Shrimp 3x Spotted Corys 3x Panda Corys
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 03:38Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

MtbGirl- I didn't know pythons existed either till I got to exploring past threads on this site & saw them talking about it.

It really is a great invention for larger tanks, but if all you have is a 7 gal. tank, I don't know if it would be worth your effort to use a python to just remove a couple gallons of water? But if you still want one, then hey, go for it. You can read about it on the internet first if you want to.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NitroBobby
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
Python...it's only like the greatest fish tank accessory ever. Seriously, i love mine. it's great. Makes cleaning a breeze. Thanks to fishPatty for the tip on leaving the water off. i haven't tried it yet, i did a cleaning yesterday prior to reading this post, but i will try it out next cleaning. i don't know how well it will work for me dince the sink and tank are pretty much the same height, which will minimize the siphoning effect, but it's worth a shot.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2007 18:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Michael
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 36
Votes: 2
male usa
Very interesting. Pythons were very controversial back in the day because of dumping untreated water into your tank was heresy. I finally bought into it and just dribble some dechlorinator into the water when filling back up. My Festivum lived 7 years and was healthy till the end so seems to have worked out for me.

Working with the water off will depend on the height of your sink I guess... my sink is close to the same height of my aquarium so the water needs to be on to get any suction.

~Michael
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 02:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
My python is hibernated.
Water is too cold here in winter and mixing the water from my hot water tank caused the death of 2 corys, I believe. It's a pain to do my weekly water change. I miss my python..
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 07:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
Working with the water off will depend on the height of your sink I guess... my sink is close to the same height of my aquarium so the water needs to be on to get any suction

My sink is about the same height and I just leave the water on long enough to get the thing started and it works just fine.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 14:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Michael
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 36
Votes: 2
male usa
I forgot one added benefit of a python.

They are a great cat toy if you're sucking up any junk. My cat could be entertained for hours chasing stuff moving along in the clear tubing across the floor.

~Michael
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 14:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies