AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Kiddy Pool for keeping fish in?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeKiddy Pool for keeping fish in?
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 222
Votes: 24
male usa
I don't know if this would really be considered as a pond, as I want to keep it indoors.

So anyways, I was just at the local walmart, and they have those small hard plastic kiddy pools for sale already, and of course being a new fish addict, first thing that came to mind was, wonder if I could keep fish in there. Has anybody tried this before? Any problems with them? They wouldnt get weathered because they'd be in a basement. My only concern is how long they'd be able to keep water in them, because I'd hate to check on them and find a crack in the pool or something. Any thoughts/experience/suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 06:21Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
I would think that as it wont be exposed to the sun it should be fine, especially being hard plastic, no chance of a puncture. Just make sure you rinse it well.

We had very large koi's and were in the process of moving house. We had to buy a very large kiddies pool which was basically a lining supported by a frame. Lasted a few months until someone decided that poking the end of a metal broom in to stir things up was a fun idea. Needless to say, we had to finish the permanent pond quick stix .

Cheers
Crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 07:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 0
male canada
its an ok idea, i once used a kiddie pool to put feeder fish in, after a couple of months the edges began to crack, and i would always find a dried fish every now and then that manage to jump out
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 09:27Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I think it would be fine, as long as it don't have direct sunlight, that will ruin the plastic by time.

We use one in our Annual Fish Show to keep the Koi & it's quite good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 09:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 112
Votes: 14
male usa
i used one last summer to hold the baby koi in until we could find something to do with them, i dont think they liked being in there much though
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 17:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
You'd do better if you used something designed to hold water long term. It took me awhile to hunt somewhere down that carried them (acutally asked at the LFS ). But I now have one of these in my living room. They come in sizes up to 300 gallons and are as sturdy as anything. Which I suppose they'd have to be if they are normally used to water dehydrated protoburgers!.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 17:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Yeah, I'm with Babel (especially since I almost considered purchasing one). Go with the Stock Tank. If it can last a cow kicking it, it can last anything you can throw at it. And on the bright side, STILL a lot cheaper than the aquarium alternative.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 18:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 222
Votes: 24
male usa
My question is...why would I need something THAT heavy duty? Granted, it is a lot cheaper than tanks still. Plus, the black does look nicer than cartoon dolphins and penguins. What if...I put pond liner around the swimming pool? Would that help it any? I was just thinking...there is a farm store about 10 miles up the road, they might have some of those up there, I'll go check it out sometime.

Still, price can't be beat on a kiddy pool...I thought they could hold water long term? And it'll be low traffic, my basement is used for about nothing.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 16:56Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
What are you thinking of in terms of stock? I know a lot of people use the lesser heavy-duty totes as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 17:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
I have read an article in a fish magazine about a person that raises killifish, rainbows, and a few different types of live bearers in a kids pond that was just left out in the summer.

He would put a couple pieces of bread in the water when it was first set up, and leave fish out of it a few weeks. Different bugs would colonize the pond. Then he added the fish. The author noted increased size, color, and breeding.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 18:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Oh in the basement *catches up*...can we say "helloooooo humidity"

You're going to need a cover for that for sure. If it's in the basement then you wont get the same concerns with stress from UV ect.

I've used rubbermaid totes before as qtine/hospital tanks but they do bow out when you're using the larger sized ones. Keep in mind that since they're only 12" deep or so you're not going to be able to keep very large fish.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 22:09Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies