AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Longhairedgit..will my UV Sterilizer interfere with beneficial bacteria on my Bio wheel filters?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLonghairedgit..will my UV Sterilizer interfere with beneficial bacteria on my Bio wheel filters?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
Longhairedgit (or anyone knowledgable in them)
Being new to UV Sterilzers and having installed a couple in 2 of my tanks...the question came to mind about them interfering with the beneficial bacteria culture imbeded in my Bio-Wheel filters.

Does the UV Sterilizer affect the benefitial functioning of my Bio filtration? (Marineland Emperor 400 Dual Bio-Wheel and fiber mechanical filtration filters)

Please?

Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 16:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
The sterilizer should only affect the water being pumped to them. The bacteria on the wheel would not be affected.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 16:40Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
then if there is beneficial bacteria in a new tank being setup that would being Killed by a UV Sterilizer, should the UV Sterilizer not be run at first and kill waterborn bacteria until the Bio-Wheel has been run a month or so to collect it and get "seasoned" with that bacteria, before using the UV Sterilizer?
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 18:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Not a bad idea to give it a month or so.

Taken from Drs. Foster and Smith:

"While UV sterilizers usually do no harm, do not use one when you first cycle your aquarium, as it may kill beneficial bacteria before they attach to the bio-media or gravel. Also, many medications can be "denatured" by the UV light, so the sterilizer should be turned off when using medications, especially chelated copper treatments. The UV light will "break" the bond of the chelating agent, and the aquarium will have a sudden, lethal concentration of ionic copper.

Once you introduce a UV Sterilizer into your system, carefully monitor your aquarium's temperature. Depending on your aquarium size and flow rate, a UV Sterilizer may add heat to your aquarium water. If this occurs, you may wish to consider installing a chiller. "

Relevant part was in bold, but the rest is useful information so I included it.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 06:20Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Yup, they could drag a cycle out to many , many months, and they do destroy most meds, but in an established aquarium with good media colonisation they should cause no problems and can be added post cycle at any time without harming the balance of the aquarium. If your raising fry though, it helps to turn them off so that infusoria can grow again and provide food for the babies, and if your filter ever crashes out or breaks for any reason, you'd turn the UV off to ensure it can recolonise in a reasonable timeframe.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 09:51Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thanks guys,
I thought so...I appreciate you confirming it for me.
The question WAS related to a brand new tank I'll setup soon.
I won't fire up the sterilizer until the bio-wheels are well seasoned...and I'll watch the temp too.

Thank you very much
(It just didn't seem right that the sterilizer could be "selective" as to benefial or harmful bacteria it killed)
I appreciate your confirmation, guys
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 15:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies