AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Look who I found in one of my tanks this morning....
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLook who I found in one of my tanks this morning....
El Tiburon Tailandes
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 54
Votes: 0
male costarica
EditedEdited by Lindy
bug thing

(wow thats a long url)

Scary looking fellow huh, anyone have any info about this little critter? Not so little actually....

fixed link - Lindy
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 23:20Profile PM Edit Report 
El Tiburon Tailandes
-----
Hobbyist
male costarica
I believe that url is not going to work....

If it doesnt, go to google.com and look up under images the word "tijerilla"

That is what we call them down here in CR. Tijerilla would be slang for 'small scissors'.

Of the photos that will display it will be the second one from left to right in the second row.
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 23:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
From the google pics ive seen , its an earwig, they are a harmless insect, the rear graspers are for mating and self defense and not especially effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermaptera
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2007 01:14Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
El Tiburon Tailandes
-----
Hobbyist
male costarica
hello there. he looks mean

he also, looked like he was struggling on the surface of the water, so i figured he couldnt be much of a threat to the fish if he himself was having a hard time with his surroundings lol

thanks for the info....
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2007 21:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
EditedEdited by REDPHANTOM
They do look mean and at half and inch could be considered tijerillas, but reaching some two plus inches I'd call them more of a tijerota (big scissors)!

Had one just like that turn up in my bathtub one morning, they are big little suckers. I relocated it with a five foot pole, didnt want near that guy!

Common belief around here is that they will climb into your ear canal at night when asleep and eat out your eardrum rendering you deaf. I slept with one eye open that night, let me tell you that!
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2007 22:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I found a large (3 or 4 inches) garden slug in one of my tanks...

><>
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 00:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Dunno what it is but earwigs are multiplying like crazy this year. I sweep up a few dozen off the floor every week and they are always floating in the tanks. I know a few people in apartments, especially basement apartments, that have been finding these things daily. Usually they're just an odd occurance where you see 1 or 2 in the house every few years.
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 01:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
well red, that scary myth is one I can happily put to rest. Most species are vegetarian, and we get small ones in the uk all the time, often you'll see them hiding in flowers like roses. They like humidity and so will be attracted to fishtanks, they also have the flying skills of "the greatest american hero" and they typically crash land into everything. In wetter years they really proliferate.
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 02:32Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Ahh thanks git, now Ill be able to sleep better...Non fearing a two inch critter crawling into my ear canal, not that it would fit in there I don't think, but when you grow up with such beliefs its hard to dismiss them right off!

Lets try another one... If I make a googley eyed face and a wind draft blows by will it get stuck like that?

LOL

Have a good one you all,

James
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 03:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Maybe that explains it. The past few years we've been in a drought or near drought and this year the water has been no lower than right under flood stage since spring. Maybe they have just been biding their time and suddenly proliferated like mad when the rains came. Heck the corn is almost ready to be picked and as the saying goes it's usually "knee high by the fourth of july". This year it was over my head by the first. The US is gonna be flooded with corn and earwigs this year. Along with the mosquitos but we try to pretend those don't exist.
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 04:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies