SubscribeLooking For Tank Mate Ideas
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
I'm about to move my 5inch jack dempsey into his own 55g tank. he was in another 55g with a 4 1/2in flower horn and a 4 inch pictus cat.. well the pictus is staying with the FH. and i'm trying to find ideas of a bottom dweller that would work with the JD. he is showing some aggression right now, but only to the FH, not to the pictus.

it is going to have caves and some plants. anybody got any ideas? myself, i'm thinking about getting another pictus and putting it in there with him. or maybe a rainbow shark

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2007 13:04Profile PM Edit Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
If the Jack Dempsey is all right with a pictus, then that would be a good start in terms of compatibility risks.

I think a raphael catfish would also work well, and it would enjoy the caves very much while being able to hold off the Jack Dempsey if it gets aggressive.

I'm not 100% sure how a rainbow shark would fare, though, given how it would occupy the same level of the tank as the Jack Dempsey.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2007 17:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
A rainbow shark would probably annoy the dempsey with its swimming about in its territory and consequently get maimed. Dempseys are a bit violent even for most smooth skinned catfish.

Pictus might end up on the beaten up list eventually too.

Raphaels are a much better choice.They probably wont interact at all with the dempseys, and with razor spines, armour and vibration defenses, the dempsey will be reluctant to bite them, and wont do much damage even if it does.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2007 19:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
I'll have to watch around for them. The thank their going in is being setup and going threw the fishless cycle stage. so few more weeks i'll start looking

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2007 20:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies