L# MALE FIGHTER vs BLUE RAM?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMALE FIGHTER vs BLUE RAM?
BGK
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 110
Votes: 0
Well i recently introduced a male betta into my 15gal tank with some cories, 2 blue rams, and some rummynose tetras. However the betta doesn't seem to be getting along with my rams too well and always flares up at them when they get close and chase them (he even does that to my rummynose sometimes). He doesn't really do anything other than that... no real nipping or anything but was wondering if he would get bored of it sooner or later and stop? (i've had my betta for only 2days).
My rams still eat and all when i feed my fish, and they come out every now and again (but this is normal cause they always hide alot even before i introduced my male betta).
My tank is planted but not heavily yet. I hope it will soon though.
So anyone had experience with Rams and Fighters together in a tank?
Thnks
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2010 15:31Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Most bettas will eventually get bored with flaring and chasing. If he's not causing injury to the other fish and he's not exvausing himself too badly, you can wait it out and see if he gets over it. It sounds like he's just posturing so it is unlikely that he'll hurt anyone else. The big risk IMO is that the betta will get run down and that will allow opportunistic infections.

If you are not comfortable letting this play out, you can get an empty soda bottle, poke some holes in it with a heated piece of wire (beware of fumes) and use that within the tank to contain the betta for a few weeks until he's gotten at least part of his territorial posturing out of his system. The holes let him get used to the water and keep the botte water fresher, and letting him see the tank goings on can help him settle in to how things work.

I haven't had rams and bettas, but I've had bettas and a bundle of other things and mostly just letting him fizz and pop for a week or so is enough.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2010 04:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BGK
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 110
Votes: 0
thnx for the reply callatya...
but now the whole dominance thing has changed now...
Just last night i saw that my strongest blue ram has become the weakest... and that my weakest blue ram has become the strongest...
Even the fighter fish is scared of him... I dunno why he went so aggressive all of a sudden? my other blue ram has become sorta colourless now and I am scared he may die if the other blue ram continues to bully it?
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2010 13:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies