SubscribeMotoro Toxin
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i have around a 6 -7 inch(body) around 6 inch tail, with a 2 inch stinger barb.

i heard from the guy i got it from. that even if they are dieing they are still if not more likely to sting u if u fool around with them. acording to him, the while moving a sick one, it's tail reached over its body and got him. and it is a painful pain that doesn't go away for awhile.

what so i do it i get stung, is it like a jelly fish with viniger.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 04:16Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Here in NC, we use ammonia straight out of the bottle, to counteract fire ant stings. I don't know if that would work for something like a stingray, however. It sounds more like something to call 911 for to me.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 06:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
EditedEdited by Dangerous Dave
Just dont get stung.

If you are stung take yourself for a visit to your local hospital.

While I never have owned stingrays myself and have never been stung, I have seen the results of a sting, and you will need some serious painkillers.

Here is a first hand account of a sting:

I was moving my motoro yesterday. I used a garbage bag because the fish was too big. Anyway, it freaked out and ripped the bag with its tail. As it fell on the floor it managed to poke my foot. Let me tell you, it is the worst pain ever. I managed to scoop up the ray and put it the new tank. But i started bleeding pretty bad. I ran my foot under hot water but it did not help. I had to call my friend to take me to ER. Obviously they have never seen anyone with this type of injury here in ohio. I got a morphine and tetuns shot. They also had me soak my foot in really hot water for 90 minutes. That really seemed to take care of the pain. I guess if you get stung you really have to sit for hour and a halft in hot water not just 5 minutes. I went home with script for antibiotics and some percocet. It really does not hurt anymore, but I am more afraid of swelling and brusing right now. The bottom line here is , be carefull

The above was taken from www.waterwolves.com
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 07:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
yea i heard it is really painful, but on a good note it can't kill you.

anyway, so i will probably just go to the hospital. always good to know. thanks
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 18:56Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
"...but on a good note it can't kill you."

If you are allergic to the venom, you could certainly die. If stung on multiple occasions, you will be at a higher risk of becoming allergic. So to echo Dangerous Dave, don't let yourself get stung.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 19:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
very true.

its only been a few days, we will see what the first water change will be like.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 19:16Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
Think wasp. A really, really, really big wasp. Most people don't die from the stings (unless allergic as sirbrooks said), but who likes getting stung by a wasp?

When it gets bigger, instead of using your hands or a bag and being careful to move it, I suggest using a landing net. When I lived in Texas and now that I'm here on the California coast, I'd catch these while out fishing pretty regularly (sometimes on purpose but usually not, they're baitthieves), and when they're in the landing net, they can't flop out too well like other fish and thier tail doesn't have the range of motion to get you. You can go to any sporting goods store and get an inexpensive landing net that will make handling the ray a lot easier.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 17:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
I think if you are stung the best thing to do is do very little to prevent the poison from spreading, and get someone to give you a lift to the hospital asap. There they will probably give you an injectable antihistamine to prevent the worst effects of the poison, and stop your body from reacting to it. Sometimes ray barbs do break off, and can be hell to remove from flesh,being that some are segmented like porcupine quills and will just break in half if you try to pull them out.Having a doc on hand would be useful, since infection from the wound is likely.

The sting would likely be too deep for any contact remedies to work.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 16:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies