SubscribeRainbowfish
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
Well, over the last about year I've unfortunately had to shut down my big tank(55 gallon), and return the fish I couldn't find room to house in my other tank. However, I did upgrade from a 20 gallon to a 30 gallon, so at least now my smaller tank is a little bigger.

Oh well, now on to my question. The only fish currently residing in the 30 gallon are my Clown Pleco, and 2 juvenile BN Plecos, and I want to add some more fish to the tank. I was thinking about going back to basics and getting a couple of livebearers, most likely Swordtails and/or Guppies, along with a small school of fish. I have pretty hard water (7.8 PH), and was thinking about adding something that could tolerate it pretty well. I came across Boesemani Rainbowfish, but wasn't sure if the tank is big enough for them or not, I don't want to keep them cramped in a tank too small for them. Also, if the tank is too small, feel free to recommend another fish that would do well with the other inhabitants and my water. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2009 21:49Profile PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
The swordtails and guppies would be fine in there. But a school of rainbows isn't gonna fit in that size tank. They need alot of swimming room, and most get around the 4 inch mark. I would look at a school of tetras instead. Maybe glowlights or neons?
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2009 02:24Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was just seeing if there was a fish better suited to my water's PH. I'll probably add a school of Cardinal Tetras, I've had good luck with them in the past. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2009 03:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 1
male uk
Your water is too hardy for Cardinals

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2009 20:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Well, I decided to just go with a school of Zebra Danios for my 30 gallon. Although I still have one Cardinal Tetra in the tank, the last one from the school I had, who will be getting some more friends in the near future. Doing fine, had him/her almost a year, maybe more, and the higher PH (7.8) doesn't seem to bother it. I think that the LFS I get them from must get their stock from a local breeder with similar water parameters.
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2009 21:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
I doubt it. Most probably they are farm bred from indonesia. The only tank bred ones are coming out of singapore and are very expensive.
Honestl, i wouldnt bother introducing some more cardinals into that tank.
The pH is far too high for them to be at their best, some may even die. Zebra danios are far too active and nippy for the cardinals.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2009 16:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Oh, I guess that they don't then.

If I get anymore, I was planning on moving them to one of the empty 10 gallon tanks that I have and setting it up just for the Cardinal school.

I'm not going to doubt that they would do better at a lower PH, but I've never had any die from this. I always make sure to drip acclimate Cardinal Tetras, and the only reason my previous school died off was because I introduced 4 extra Cardinals (wanted to up the school) and unfortunately at least one was sick. I really should use one of my extra tanks for quarantine.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2009 16:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies