SubscribeResort To Goldfish?
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 282
Votes: 0
female canada
hi all!

i'm stumped as to what to put in my now basically empty 29G. the tank has been set up for about 2 years and currently houses a group of guppies, 2 rams (1 bolivian, 1 blue) and 1 queen botia.

it looks rather empty! (especially given that the guppies hang out near the top, and the rams hang out at the bottom). plus, the tank is in a dimly lit room and has dark gravel, giving it an overall dark and empty appearance.

now, i've been keeping freshwater fish for several years, and have three other tanks set up (housing discus and various other assorted species)... so i guess it takes something unusual to excite me now that i'm a seasoned fish geek. haha!

anyhow, i was thinking that maybe goldfish would be a solution to my 'empty' tank problem (the current residents would be relocated of course). they're big, colourful and swim around the whole tank.

but, a part of me is reluctant to get goldfish... it seems like a step backward! lol.

what are your suggestions?!
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 20:38Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
niggit,

Instead of trying just a different fish, why not try a biotope that you haven't tried yet.

I don't know from your entry if you have a brackish tank or an African Lake tank, but they would also create new challenges. Or how about a tank for shellies ( spelling )?

just some thoughts,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 20:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
No goldfish in a 29. They need a tank of AT LEAST 55 gallons, and it would stunt their growth. They are actually HARD fish to keep, and not as easy as they sound. I agree with little fish, go for a biotype or brakish, or go for a difficult fish you've never kept before. You can do loads of interesting freshwater setups with a 29.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 20:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
29 gal. is too small for Goldfish.

What are your tanks biotypes & what would you like to have?. Maybe you can try cold water fish like Minnows.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s8xi5heh/my_photos
http://www.geocities.com/s8xi5heh/classic_blue.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buzaqq/
http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 16:30Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i agreee with everyone, goldfish while yes look small now, are not small animals and have very different needs than their warm water counterparts.

did u try breeding, in a 29 a pair of convicts would be great.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 22:18Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Go with the biotope idea and plant it with plants from the biotope you choose. Plants will brighten it up a little.

Or try breeding a type of fish that is hard to breed. It will challenge you so you'll be interested in this tank./:'

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 22:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 270
Votes: 8
male canada
Go with CORYDORAS! Awesome little fish, fun to watch, definitely different from others. If you want to take it another step, try to breed them. All fun and games.

Of course you can add other community fish other than cories.
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 03:15Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Rams are great and if you already have 1 of each (blue and bolivian) why not get a group? Aren't they happier in groups? Bolivians are active and colourful. You are most of the way there to a great tank. Why not just pump up the numbers a bit.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 03:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
when i read this post first, i thought exactly what wish-ga posted. i think adding to some numbers would definately help, as for getting tired of certain fish- thats how i feel about my mollies.. i was obsessed with livebearers when i first started, and now im ready to get rid of them completely. either way you go, there a billion possibilities. good luck with whatever you choose, and keep us posted!

maybe it would help if you changed lighting and gravel and planted some new plants, give the tank that whole make-over experience!

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 05:03Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Pfft, get a pair of goldies.

By the time they outgrow the tank, you'll be bored with them or be willing/able to get a bigger tank or pond. You have been around long enough to make a judgement call on when stunting is going to become a problem I'm sure. Look for slowed growth, increases in nitrogenous waste products etc.
Thats about the only tricky bit IMO, catching the early signs that they are growing too big for their tank. I'd take a stab at them being able to spend 12-18 months in an unheated 29gal, but I haven't really tried keeping them myself (although for some bizzare reason i REALLY want to) so thats only going off the size they tend to get in 10-55USG.

Two 1" fish aren't too big for a 29USG, its only when they grow, and if it'll get you out of the slump, and give two goldies a good start to life, why not?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2006 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
Forget the goldfish. Like many have said they will grow too large and be boring. I would reccomend an oddball or a predator... those are MY favorites. Definately different and interesting. If you don't mind feeding live fish try a smaller predator such as a couple of dwarf pike cichlids or possibly something like a leaf fish. A 4-6" freshwater puffer would be VERY interesting as well. Take a look at arrowhead puffers and congo puffers.
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2006 21:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I say no on the goldfish. They are coldwater fish and you have tropical fish. Do you let your guppies reproduce? If so, you might want to try trading some of your fish for different colored/varieties of guppies and see whatyou get from cross breeding them (My parents had a big group of fancys in their tank and we put a few snakeskins in there and we got very intresting colorations) also rearranging the tank would be a great Idea. I have a lake Michigan desighn setup (minus the green water) with African Chichlids (not that this really matches, but it still looks great) Well, hope I helped.

PS GOLDIES ARE POND FISH. IF YOU WANT TO PUT THEM IN A TANK THEY NEED AT LEAST 55G. ^_^

Inky
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 06:43Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 270
Votes: 8
male canada
Maybe Callatya, but I still don't agree with buying fish and then with the intent of getting rid of them later. Some people may just get attatched to their fish, after raising them for a year or more. People may not see anything negative to the fish, and assume it hasn't grown to its full potential, and keep on raising it when really it's stressful on the fish. Also, sometimes its not easy to get rid of goldfish. They are very common and stores may not take any in, risking disease to pass into their tank, or the hassle of quarantining.

I would only recommend goldfish if you are positive to get a 50g tank or more. Even when you do get rid of the your goldfish later, you'll just start back in the beginning of what to replace them. Like I said before...corydoras!
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 02:25Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
true, but by the same token, getting 1" goldies for an 8x8 pond is kinda silly too, so I figure there is option for home aquaria keepers to act as grow-out

I wouldn't recommend getting a fish only to take it back to the pet shop, but to pass on or upgrade for, I don't have a problem with that Especially with the lifespan of some of these fish! eek!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 14:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
the other problum that I see is that the goldies would get stunted

I think you should just play around with what you have, try adding a school of neons or corys. A nice schooling fish could easily fill up your empty space!

Inky
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 19:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
I would suggest a goldfish only if the OP is ready to spend $$$ on a bigger habitat in the near future.

There are many other fish that can live in a 29gal and help get rid of the empty space.

Have you considered gouramis?

Shelldwellers are another possibility...

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 23:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies