Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking A 25G
rabbit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 461
Votes: 7
male australia
well im getting back into freshwater after 2 or so years of being out , So anyway i was wondering what i should stock it with. I was thinking

8 cardinal tetras
8 rummy nose
2 blue rams.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 09:28Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
I think you might be a little overstocked with this set up.
Cardinals: one inch X 8 = 8
Rummy nose: two inch X 8 = 16
blue rams: three inches X 2 = 6
30 inches for a 25 gallon

If you would be willing to cut the cardinals and rummy noses down to six of each, or do only one tetra species, I think you would be fine.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 20:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
caled
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 44
Votes: 0
male uk
I never personally put much faith in the inch per gallon rule, provided the filtration is up to it and there is sufficient surface area (ie, its not a hex or column tank) then personally, i reckon that'll be ok. Just keep on top of the maintenance.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 20:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
I agree with caled highly, that rule isn't much to follow. Basicly as was said, keep up on the filtration, either have one filter rated for at least a 55, or to smaller filters.

I have a friend who successfully had about 100 guppies in a 20g long and she had 2 filters on it and weekly water changes and never had a problem with it.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 20:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
I think that stocking would be fine.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 21:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Rummynoses school together so well; I'd personally do a large group of them, the rams, and maybe a small plec for the bottom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 00:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
rabbit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 461
Votes: 7
male australia
yeah, im ive never been to keen on the 1 inch per gallon for the whole 5 or so years ive been in fish keeping.

The filtration is a 1600 litre per hour cannister so dont worry filtration im on top of.

im still unsure of what im going to stock it with, but i will most probably end up with my 1st suggestion, or what theresa suggested.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 09:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

I'd start off by making sure your Rams are genuinely one male, one female ... two male Rams together in even a fairly spacious tank can result in some fairly horrendous combat taking place.

Also, I'd make sure you have some decent bottom feeders in there. Rams and Rummies are apt to pick at the gravel intermittently, and picking at uneaten, rotting food isn't a good idea for them.

My stocking list for your 25 would look something like this:

12 Rummy Nosed Tetras
2 Rams
8 Corydoras habrosus
4 Otocinclus

With a shoal of 12 Rummies, you'll have quite a spectacle.

I suggested Corydoras habrosus because it's a small species. In case you're wondering why I specified 8 of them, the small Cory species are more in need of social groupings of their own species than the larger Corys, so you need a group of 8. But since they don't grow very large, that won't impinge too much on your filtration, and 8 Corys keeping the gravel nicely worked over will have a beneficial effect on the rest of the aquarium too.

Don't forget to stock piecemeal either if the aquarium is a relatively recently set up affair - I'd start with the Corys first, because once they're established, they'll keep the aquarium ticking over nicely once the rest of the fishes are added. Wait about 6 weeks, then add the Rummies in 2 groups of 6 next (wait 3 weeks between groups), then add the 4 Otocinclus (give the aquarium chance to grow some algae for them to munch on) after another 3 weeks, and finally, your 2 Rams.

It'll take time to set the aquarium up this way, but doing so in this manner will alleviate a LOT of problems at source because you'll be giving your biofilter chance to catch up with each new stocking influx.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 09:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
The habrosus are a good suggestion One thing I liked about them was the fact that they frequently venture away from the bottom of the tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 18:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
caled
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 44
Votes: 0
male uk
lol Calil, you *really* do like those corys, eh?
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 21:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies