fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
Hiya,
We are nearing capacity on our 55, and I have a question about stocking. Here is a list of current occupants, proposed changes, and want list.

8x Bosemani Rainbows
3x C. Aeneus (Bronze Cory)
1x Dwarf Gourami

Changes:
Keep Bosemani,
Add 3 Irian Jaya Rainbows
Take out bronze corys and add 3 Brochis Splendens
Keep Dwarf Gourami

We would like to add 1 gourami type fish with the dwarf gourami.... not necessarily a gourami, but something 2-3 inches, colourful, and peaceful. Any Ideas?

Thanks Guys!
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 01:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
dont brochis get bigger then corys? they might put out more waste. not sure though ive never kept them. hope you can though it sounds like it'll be awsome!

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 01:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Brochis are bigger than most Corys, but Bronze Corys are pretty big already. If you can get your hands on B. splendens that'd be great, but why only 3? You have plenty of room for more. I am not aware of Brochis being more singular than most Corydoras, but then again I've never kept them...

I'm not usually for mixing schools of possibly hybridizing species, but I suppose since Boesemani are a different genus from Irian Jaya's, it might be okay. One of the LFS'es around here has a tank with "Assorted Rainbowfish", and I don't know enough about Rainbows to judge if they're hybrids or not. Also, you'll be surprised how impressive your Boesemani are when they are closer to their adult size. Having seen active 6" fish in a 55 gallon, I'd actually caution you against getting more without having tried this out myself.

Take that with a grain of salt since I haven't kept these fish... yet.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 04:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
Well, 3 is because by the fish inch rule we are near our limit. I am sitting here watching the tank as I type, and I am thinking that there might be too many Bosemani's.
I have ordered the B.Splendens, but don't know when or how many will be available to us.
As time goes on I can see us upgrading to a 125G, so by the time they are reaching maturity, we will prob have a bigger tank.
Thanks for the input. What about the second part of the post, the gourami type fish?
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 06:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
The inch per gallon rule means less when it comes to small fish in big tanks with good filtration. The addition of Brochis is almost insignificant to the bioload, and they certainly wouldn't feel crowded since, as the only bottom feeders, there is plenty of room for them to frolic. Your tank could definitely handle at least a good school (6+) of Brochis with all your fish. The only reason I'm worrying with the Boesemani's is because they like room to swim. Of course this problem goes away with the 125 gallon.

Ah, I missed that question. There aren't many small, slow-moving, colorful fish I can think of other than gourami. The Pearl Gourami would be a good candidate, though.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 06:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies