Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTadpole Care?
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
I have recenly bought a tadpole for my pond, but im housing it in my ten gallon for now. I was wondering what should I feed it and when do it need access to the surface? Also any other info would be great.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 01:52Profile PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

What species of tadpole is it? Most Ranid tadpoles tend to be herbivorous, I believe, and should eat plants like anacharis and probably some algae as well.

The frog will need access to land when all of its legs are developed, and it is primarily using them to swim as opposed to its tail.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 02:52Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
I've raised American bullfrog and leopard frog tadpoles before. They ate pretty much everything, and developed quite fast. They're really better for a paladarium setup. Also, as they mature and develop mouths designed for eating other animals, they won't hesitate to gobble up your fishes (or other tadpoles and frogs -- that's how I lost the leopard frogs). They're very hardy though (speaking of the Rana genus that encompasses both the American bullfrog, the leopard frog, and many others. There are so many possibilities it could be, with true frogs (Ranids), treefrogs, spadefoots, and toads inhabiting North America.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 06:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
I've had tadpoles in my pond before. They would eat small goldfish food and any plant matter, algae, etc. I've also heard that you can feed them boiled lettuce but I hadn't tried that.

Just provide them with a way out when they eventually become frogs, rocks or wood leant up against the edge of the pond works fine.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 09:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
How long will it take for my tadpole to start metamorphsis, right now it doesn't look like it has started. I would say its about 3" long.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 11:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
It's a constant process for most amphibians. There's never a start time. From the moment they hatch, they're slowly becoming frogs.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 02:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies