AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Thinking of moving fish between tanks - new stockings OK?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeThinking of moving fish between tanks - new stockings OK?
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
I've got 2 tanks, a 63l (60x30x35cm) and a 126l (80x35x45cm). The existing stockings are as below:

126l
Pair of breeding Kribs
1 BN
2 x Kuhli's
12 x Hengli Rasbora
4 x Amano shrimp

63l
3 x Galaxy Rasbora
3 x Dwarf Chain Loach
2 x Cory. Sterbai
5 x Pygmy Corys
3 x Ottos
2 x Amano Shrimp

I am considering moving the entire stocking of the 63l, except the Ottos, into the 126l, and moving the Kribs into the 63l. The Kribs and the BN do have little fights which I would like to finish, and I also think that I got carried away with the Hengli's as dither fish and there are now probably too many for the Kribs to keep away from their fry. I also feel that the bottom of the 63l is overstocked - it's not really big enough for the Cory's but it was either that or have them killed by the Kribs.

Just wanted your opinion on whether this would work? And any changes you would make? I would also like a small school in the 63l to act as dither fish for the Kribs - possibly move some of the Hengli's over or buy something new?

Just to note, I don't want any more Galaxy's - I can't breed them so I don't feel comfortable buying anymore while as far as I'm concerned these are an endangered fish (If I'd known this at the time that I bought them, I would have bought something else). I'm also aware that really I need more Sterbai's. There used to be more, but unfortunately I had an outbreak of ich while I was on holiday and by the time I returned it was too late to save all of them. Would there be room in the 126l with that stocking to increase their school?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2007 13:46Profile PM Edit Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
126l
2 x Cory. Sterbai
5 x Pygmy Corys
3 x Ottos
1 BN
3 x Galaxy Rasbora
12 x Hengli Rasbora

63l
Pair of breeding Kribs
3 x Dwarf Chain Loach
2 x Kuhli's
6 x Amano shrimp

You can add more Galaxy, if you want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2007 00:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
Thanks for that, can I throw a couple of things back at you though to see what you think?

The Amano shrimp currently in with the Kribs spend their entire time clung to the top of the HOB filter, if they stray from their the male krib just chases them back again. I've noticed that they get out and about in the dark, but I don't think they've currently got the freedom that they should have which is why I planned for them to be in the other tank to the Kribs.

Also, if I have one fish fast enough, agile enough and cheeky enough to evade the Kribs in order to get at their fry, it's the Dwarf Chain loaches. Do you think it would be safe for future generations of Kribs to be in with these?

Do you think there is room in the 126l to expand the Sterbai up to 6?

Finally, from your comment about the Galaxy Rasbora's does this mean that either a captive bred program is up and running? or that the wild population is more stable / larger than previously reported? I've just not heard anything wither way on this recently.

I've just read this back to myself, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm rejecting what you've said - I don't mean it to come across like that. I just wanted to check a couple of things with you, giving you all the details, before I go through all the stress (for me and the fish!) of moving them all around. Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2007 22:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
If you want to breed the Kribs, you better keep them on their own.

If you want to breed the Galaxy, it's possible. I know a local girl who did. So they are endangered, but i don't think that it's bad as they say.

Yes you can add the C.sterbai to 6, but if you put all the fish in the 126L tank, (so the Kribs can breed) you'll be having lots of bottom feeders.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2007 23:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies