Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTiger Barb Compatibility
FishBoy_515
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
hello everyone
i have 6 tiger barbs in a 55 gallon aquarium and i wanted to add more fish and i was thinking of adding some bronze catfish,zebra danios,white clouds and guppies,is this a good idea?please tell me...
thanks in advance
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2006 12:26Profile PM Edit Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 55
male uk
Hello FishBoy_515
Tiger barbs + guppies is a no. Because the barbs will rip the guppies's fins to shreds,
Tiger barbs + bronze cattfish is a maybe, as It depends on the number of tiger barbs, But you have six, if you could add two more i would say yes, quite possible.
Not sure about the zebra danios and white clouds,

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2006 13:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
I would up the barb school to 10 to start with. In larger numbers, they focus more on themselves than other fish. Zebra danios would be great with the tiger barbs. They are just as active. Just don't get the long finned type. That could cause problems (nipping from barbs).

The white clouds like cooler water. I know that some people keep then with warmer water fish with no problems....but in reality they like their water alot cooler.

I think a school of barbs and a school of danios would look great. If you stick to just those 2 you could have 10 of each type. If you decide to stick the white clouds in there, then I would do:
~10 tiger barbs
~8 danios
~8 white clouds

I think the bronze catfish would be fine, as long as the tiger barbs are in a big enough school. You could have about 8 cories.

Do you plan on planting the tank? It would be alot better for the cories if they had some plants. That way if the tigers did start to harass them, they would have somewhere to hide.
Its pretty much hit or miss with the tiger barbs, but usually with a large group they should be nicer.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2006 16:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishBoy_515
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
thanks for the reply,the tank is heavily planted and there is alot of caves and hiding places but i dont want any problems with the white clouds so instead of them what would be the best with the tigers,danios & cories?
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2006 08:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
If you're skipping the white clouds, increase your Tiger Barb and Danio school sizes. The resulting display will be impressive - because big shoals of a few species ALWAYS look more impressive than smaller numbers of more species. If you want to see how impressive a big shoal can look, ask Ingo to show you his photo of his Trigonostigma espei Rasboras - he has something like 100 of them in his aquarium, and they look STUNNING!

Let's see ... this is a 55 gallon ...

If you put no other fish in there, you could go with 12 each of the Barbs and Danios, and 10 Bronze Corys. If you had picked a smaller Cory species such as Pandas or habrosus, this would have increased your options, but run with the above numbers and you should have quite a display.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2006 03:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies