AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Tips for keeping dwarf puffers healthy and happy.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTips for keeping dwarf puffers healthy and happy.
Samiam19
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
female usa
So, basically, I'm a novice at keeping puffer fish. I've been trying to keep them since May of '06 and have had several problems with keeping them. I've had a couple appear to become ill and die...and I've also had an issue with the puffers eating each other as well. So, do any of you have an helpful tips for me?
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 04:47Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
You need a very heavily decorated tank and only about 1 puffer per 3-5g of water. If you overstock them or don't add enough decorations they will start picking on each other until the weaker ones die and give the agressive ones more space. For that reason they do best in heavily planted tanks but you can use plastic plants, driftwood, or any other aquarium safe decorations if you aren't up to growing live plants.

Then you need well aerated water but a low flow rate. A powerfilter/hob works best so long as you don't put too large of one on. In my experience they perish quickly if you don't have enough surface agitation to keep the water well oxygenated but at the same time getting a big filter that moves alot of water will make it difficult for them to get around and feed. They are poor swimmers that move slowly. They are also messy fish so along with the slow flow rate of the filter you'll need to do lots of water changes and gravel vacs. Probably at least weekly depending how stocked the tank is. Make sure you have a good nitrate test and use it frequently.

For dwarf puffers do not add any salt. They do prefer hard water but are freshwater fish and shouldn't have even freshwater aquarium salt added.

Last they will not take dry foods. You must feed them at least frozen food(bloodworms are the most popular) and some will only take live. It's best to feed them live snails at least weekly and for those that won't eat much frozen several times weekly. Most fish stores will give you a few pest snails for free that you can raise in a small tank or bowl with an airstone, often kept in the stand under the tank. Just feed them a couple shrimp pellets or flakes once or twice a week and you have live puffer food.
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 05:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I agree with everything sham wrote

I kept a trio in a 6g. Never had aggression problems but feeding could be an issue. I found that frozen bloodworms had to be fed slowly...the puffers would eat those sinking in the water-maybe because they looked like live food-but any that landed were ignored.

If you feed snails make sure they're relative in size to the puffers. Pest-type snails are best, mine wouldn't go near MTS.

Mine also ate ghost shrimp but I don't know if that's common to all puffers or not.

Good luck

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 12:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
Yup, what they said. Remember that about half the dwarf puffers are wild caught and many will just not accept anything but live. snails they do enjoy greatly. They do need a heavily planted or decorated tank. anything that breaks up the line of sight for them. They will bite on each other and such, about 2-3 gallons per puffer is needed. Other tankmates are usually a bad idea as well because they can be aggressive to them also.
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 19:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Samiam19
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
female usa
EditedEdited by Samiam19
Okay, thanks for the helpful tips! This link will take you to an image of my current fish tank

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/Runawaybeauy1288/Fishes.jpg

The tank is a 10 gallon and it currently has 2 puffer fish in it.

If you have any suggestion for the tank that will make it better, PLEASE feel free to leave them.
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 23:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Very clean-looking tank

I would definitely add more plants though, really fill it out so they have hiding places.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 12:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
There is an excellent article about dwarf puffers in the March 2007 issue of TFH magazine published that covers everything from successful keeping to breeding of these fish. The magazines web site has an article archive that allows for browsing of articles if you do not want to spend the money to get this issue.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 07:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies