Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTo Air Or Not To Air
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
male uk uk-england
i have an air diffuser attachment on my jewel internal filter system outlet but i find even when on the low setting every thing in its path gets discolored, so can i remove this and just point my outlet so the flow gently ripples the waterline or do you have to have air bubbles blowing into the tank.

thanks for any help

papasan,
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2008 19:22Profile PM Edit Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
I use to be in the camp that said Air bubbles are a must. but over the last couple of years I have switched sides. As long as the water surface is moving then you have a good circulation. As it is the air bubbles are not really in contact long enough to do much. If you are worried you could always add in a power head to get more water movement.

What kind of discoloration are you seeing? As I dont know of any air diffuser that adds color to the tank.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2008 22:47Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
male uk uk-england
thanks for that FKJ i think you are right as any bubbles only disperse air when they hit the surface so it is coming off, the discolouration is mainly black on my vallis from the constant battering of the air bubbles

thamks again

papasan.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 08:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Glad to be of service.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 17:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
Ahh yes, bubbles v no bubbles. The fact is it's up to you. First, do you need bubbles?
Maybe. Do your fish seem to be near thr surface gasping for air in the morning? If so then perhaps you do. If they are not and they look fine and healthy then perhaps not.
I have three tanks currently running. One, A 29g community I know I need bubbles. Without them the fish will be starving for air. Yet another 29g I have bubbles in just in case. The third is a 10g with cards and a pair of ottos. The filter running alone provides adequate oxygenation for them.
Yet another factor is preferance. If you don't need them but just like the little diver guy or the little treasure chest air thingy then go for it.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 20:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
male uk uk-england
I see what you mean. Thanks very much for the advice.

Cheers

Papasan
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2008 21:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies