female usa
In my 55 gal right now I have:

1 pleco
1 whiptail catfish
1 zebra loach
2 nickle size angel fish
1 rainbow shark
1 fancy goldfish

I was thinkin about getting some more zebra loachs because I think they are schooling fish arent they? I need more top/middle tank swimmers and Im not sure what to get!! Any ideas would be good, thank you so much!

~!!I lOve LiFe!!~
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2010 21:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
You have tons of options. Gourami, Rainbows, Danios, and Hatchets will be a good place to start looking for surface feeders. Tetras, Rasboras, and Barbs provide a multitude of options for middle-swimmers. For something more unusual for the middle you could do glass cats, debauwi cats, or pygmy or dwarf corys.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2010 01:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zebra
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 291
Votes: 37
female usa
Yeah I just didn't know how some of them would do with the angelS? I will just have to look around and see what I like!

~!!I lOve LiFe!!~
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2010 02:04Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
The only ones I'd be worried about would be nippy barbs and tetras small enough to eat. Angels aren't particularly hard to stock around to make a nice community.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2010 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
(A) As I'm sure some one else will tell you, any gold fish (even the small cute orandas) get FAR too large for most aquariums, that includes anything under a 75 gallon.

(B) I'm not sure if you know this but Rainbow sharks have a tendency to get aggressive with the bottom territory. I suggest you have some rocks and for lots of caves and crevices to make sure every bottom feeder has plenty of space.

(C)I would say get a schooling fish to fill out the tank. Although these make be nippy and pick on the angels, the angels tend to be able to fend for themselves. If you are worried about them nipping at the angels, give the angels a few months on a good diet (with plenty of live, frozen, and prepared foods) and they'll have the spirits to keep themselves as the head honchos of the tank!

Good Luck!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2010 06:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zebra
-----
Fish Master
female usa
I have had my rainbow shark for over a year now and he pretty much leaves everyone alone in this tank, since there is so much room.

~!!I lOve LiFe!!~
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2010 14:42Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
EditedEdited 18-Mar-2010 05:24
Just wait, especially in such a small tank once once he starts to get territorial it will be a mess.
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2010 05:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zebra
-----
Fish Master
female usa
Dude like I said before I have had him almost going on 2 years and he was a little agressive in my smaller tank but he leaves everyone alone now, thank you. Not every fish lives up to the standards, but thanks.

~!!I lOve LiFe!!~
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2010 17:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
It was about 2-3 years when my nice, calm, friendly, non aggressive black shark decided to kill three 9 inch severums and $150 polypterus leaving nothing but a couple bristlenoses, a goldspot and a redspot pleco. If he starts harassing the plecs he'll be getting an appointment with a bucket of clove oil.
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2010 07:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Black sharks are not the same as rainbow sharks, so I'm not sure that their behavior necessarily applies. I haven't kept either, but from what I can tell the black shark has more reputation to be aggressive. On the other hand, it is possible for a non-aggressive territorial fish to not like new additions to his territory, so that is also something to be careful of.

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2010 01:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Rainbow Sharks, Epalzeorhynchus frenatus, are moderately territorial, but usually considered less so than the Red Tailed Black Shark, Epalzeorhynchus bicolor, which as it grows older can be a serious headache in anything less than a 75 gallon. A Rainbow Shark is a potential problem territory wise, but this can be overcome by making sure that there exists a surfeit of caves in the aquarium.

The Black Shark, Labeo chrysophekadion, is a different beast altogether. First of all, this fish grows to be big enough to demand a 250 gallon tank for long term maintenance, and as a consequence of this, is likely to be demanding territorially simply because it grows to be large, before one factors in any tendency to exhibit aggressive behaviour. If a Black Shark is bad tempered, it's going to be a serious handful even as a juvenile, and as an adult, a bad tempered specimen will be a hardcore aquarium terrorist in anything under a 250 gallon tank.

Put a Rainbow Shark in a 250 gallon, on the other hand, and it'll have so much space to call its own that it'll be possible to house it compatibly with a range of other bottom feeders, because if the Rainbow Shark does decide to become possessive over a particular landscape feature, there's enough space in a 250 for the others to keep out of the way.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2010 23:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies