AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# 'furry' dark green algae... help!
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe'furry' dark green algae... help!
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 282
Votes: 0
female canada
EditedEdited by niggit
i have three tanks, two of which have growths of hair algae in them. it's driving me nuts!

the first tank is a 55G, planted, with Flouish substrate. it's decorated with mopani wood and some large rocks.

the second is a 29G, also planted, with regular gravel substrate. it also contains some rocks.

both tanks have been established for at least two years and all of my tanks are filled using municipal water from the tap (the third tank has no hair algae...?!).

the pH is kept low in both affected tanks (around 6.6-7). ammonia and nitrite are always low. nitrate is minimal. i usually do 30% water changes every week to week and a half.

the algae primarily grows on the java ferns, anubius, wood, and rocks, but a little bit grows on individual pieces of substrate, as well as the glass.

the algae is very dark green, almost black, short and bushy. maybe it's beard algae...? it's also very hard to get off.

how should i deal with this stupid stuff??! i know siamensis algae eaters are supposed to eat it, but i have discus in both these tanks, so i'm not sure if this is a feasible option.

what do you suggest?

thanks in advance.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2007 07:33Profile PM Edit Report 
FLEXJr
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
Votes: 1
male canada
i had the same problem with my substrate and my anubias.

All i did was removed the leaves with the beard algae (Even leaves that looked minorly infected, i removed) and then i took out the top layer of my substrate, threw it all into a bucket and bleached it. Bleaching ratios dont really matter, but usually i use about a 1:8 ratio of bleach and water.

Let the substrate soak for about 10 minutes, then you have to make sure you rinse and rinse and rinse the substrate with water, and then let it soak maybe one or two times in just water only, then it will be safe to return to the tank.

When you put the bleached substrate back, if you have missed any substrate that may have beard algae, the bleached substrate will cover the substrate with the beard algae and prevent it from getting any light, and thus, will go away.

Lots of people do not like this method, but i think its very effective, and its the easiest way to get rid of algae without scraping and putting in elbow grease. Let the bleach do all the work for you.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 05:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
I have exactly the same problem in my 75G. It's much better now after two major cleaning and the help of two SAE (too bad they might not be the best solution in your Discus tanks).

There is a very useful link posted by Keith in this thread about Hair Alage:

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/32166.1.htm?13#

Hope this helps.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 05:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies