Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeafrican dwarf frogs
nboschwilson
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 174
Votes: 0
male usa
I have a 10 gal planted tank with a beautiful crowntail betta, 5 ottos, and 8 neons. I have never had any experience with African dwarf frogs and was wondering if one would cause any problems in this tank. I am mostly concerned with waking up one morning and having a hunk missing out of my betta’s tail. Thoughts/experiences?
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2009 02:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
No personal experiences, just what I've read.

1. Be sure you get an ADF, and not an ACF, african clawed frog, pet stores get them mixed up all the time.

2. Heard that they're actually very slow moving and can be out competed for food.

Personally I think you're pretty much at the limit with that tank. I'm always concerned about 10 gallons being stocked heavily. Knowing ottos and knowing bettas, you've got two opposite fish in that tank, ottos liking it to be cool and fast moving water and bettas liking calm warm waters. I wouldn't add anything more to the tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2009 03:24Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
ottos liking it to be cool and fast moving water

Not to derail the thread, but I doubt this based on what I know. Ottos primarily live among plants and roots. At the very least the water flow is slower around these reeds and structures, compared to plecs that like fast-moving water which tend not to have any structure other than rocks. The water is probably not that cool, although the water maybe cooler than what bettas live in. Furthermore, otos also have adaptations that allow them to breathe atmospheric oxygen, which means they're actually adapted to places that could have low oxygen at some times, which is not cool, fast-flowing water.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2009 05:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies