Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hey guys, for the past couple weeks I've had a few Green Chromis running to start up the tank (I'm ambiguous with the number since I've been adding one each week, now I've got three). Now that's all good and happy and they're swimming around. For the future few months, though, I'm trying to develop a sort of stocking list.

So here's a sort of game plan:
3(+?) Green Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1-2 Pajama Cardinalfish
1 Heniochus acuminatus
1 Rusty Angelfish

I'd also like a wrasse, something like a fairy or a carpenter or one of those small, colorful types, but I don't know which species.

I'm wondering how much stocking order really is going to matter? I hear Angels are more aggressive but I wasn't sure how big of an issue it is.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 02:28Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
What kind of filtration are you running with? protein skimmer? Live rock? sump? refugium? With 8 3-inch fish, 1 4-inch fish, and an 10-inch fish you'll be hard pressed to keep nitrates down with water changes alone if you're feeding well. (note that the bannerfish, angel, and wrasse should all be fed 3 times daily, maybe more if there's no LR or fuge in the picture). I wouldn't keep the heniochus in there long term anyhow, just too big for a 55. If you decide to keep one, it should go at 6" or less IMO.

As far as stocking order goes, I'd put the angel in last. And maybe the clowns just before that. All the others get along nicely IME. The wrasse may need to be introduced carefully depending on which type you choose, some are quite territorial IME. Fairy wrasse are pretty docile though. Make sure to enclose the entire fixture for those guys. They'll eventually find that 1" hole.

Oh, and welcome to the darkside of FP

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 07:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Nothing fancy in the way of filtration, I've just got an HOB (Whisper 40) for now and a powerhead for extra current. No sump, refugium, or anything. I have a protein skimmer but haven't put it on the tank... I have a lot of dead rock which might get colonized eventually, but no LR at this point. I'm not planning on getting a lot of LR; wasn't really planning on getting ANY at first, but if it's as great as people say it is... I also have a ton of sand which could go for a DSB if I felt like it.

I was thinking that the Heni was too big; I've seen some say that a 55 gallon was big enough of a tank but I guess not. I'll cut that guy out of the picture. With that I assume nitrates will be at least slightly more manageable.

Wow, 3 times daily. That's a far cry from my predatorial catfish. It will be done, nonetheless, I can't wait.

Hmmm, now I'm going to have to figure out how to close the tank. There's a cut-out in the top for HOB stuff to get in... Suggestions? Just curious, since I can't be the only person who's had to close a tank before (and to wish to do it cheaply).

I know I said I want fairy wrasses, but now I think that I want some sort of Paracheilinus, such as carpenteri, cyaneus, filamentosus. I read they display best in groups. How does this play into my stocking and bioload? Not sure about getting too many, but my wallet might be able to handle getting a pair or a trio.

I'm thinking I have a lot of orange and red going around. I might just switch the Rusty for Coral Beauty instead... Potter's are nice but they have a reputation for difficulty. Hmmm.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 09:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
It sounds like your filtration is very underrated for a SW tank. At the very least you should have a HOB filter that's WELL overrated for your tank size. Say the whisper(this isn't much of any use IMO, not a great SW filter) you already have and an additional emperor 400.

What kind of skimmer do you have? Some are notoriously poor performers. Good ones would be a remora pro or a super skimmer rated for the 125g tank for you.

As you can see most of the equipment you should use is going to be rated for tanks much larger than what you actually have.

I'd also try and get more current in the tank. It helps detritus get carried to the filter rather than break down in the tank. I like at least 20x turnover rates. Your fish will like it besides. Something like a koralia #3 would be helpful here.

To close the tank up, I'd use eggcrate. You can find it at home depot, usually in the lighting section. Should be $10 or less. You'll have extra I'm sure.

I really like the flasher wrasses. I had a single male for over a year. He eventually found a very small hole to jump out of. I got him back in the tank alive, but he died from complications from the jump a few days later I guess. He displayed just fine by himself, and I hear a mirror can be used to make him think he needs to be extra manly.

Here's a shot of mine:

Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 15:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Unfortunately I do not know what the skimmer is, but I DID get it with the 125 gallon tank, which was a SW tank. I really don't know what it is since I got it second-hand. It's made my Aquarium Systems and stands maybe a foot and a half tall.

I think I'd rather just replace the Whisper 40 entirely. It would work better than me having to cut another hole in the top. I guess right now while I'm running on a low bioload I'll get away with it. If I'm getting a new filter, recommendations? I'm thinking along the lines of an Aquaclear 500, as HOB's don't get much higher rating than that.

You know what, I have a plan. How about a DIY wet-dry? I have all the parts of the wet-dry filter from the 125 gallon except the box itself stashed away. Long story short, as I'm such an expert fishkeeper the box part got melted with a heater that was inside, making it, uh, pretty much useless. I even had bought a new pump to replace the old pump as the old pump was dead, but I don't know if the pump is too powerful or not for the input of water; I forget the gph on that pump, I bought it years ago. I think it's a Mag Drive Utility Pump 5, which pumps 500 gph. I'll have to make sure that the pump isn't too powerful for the overflow. I just need to get myself a 20 gallon or so rubbermaid container and this can all be tested and, if it works, built into a filter. Hurrah, perhaps I can save my situation with minimum funds just yet.

Egg-crate sounds like a plan, and it'll help go into that wet-dry anyway.

Nice flasher wrasse. That's exactly why I want one.

Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 19:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'm such an expert fishkeeper the box part got melted with a heater that was inside, making it, uh, pretty much useless.

Lol, accidents like that are how expert fish keepers are created.

I actually would have suggested a wet/dry, but didnt think it fit into the cheap aspect. Since you have the parts, I say go for it. They are great for FO setups. The 500 gph pump should probably be just fine figuring in head loss. If you think it's too much, post back here asking me how to solve that and I'll help you out if you don't already know how.

Otherwise an aqua clear filter would be just fine. Is the 500 the new 110? That's what I'd recommend, the largest one they make.

Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 01:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Well as a bit of an update, I'm slowly collecting materials for the DIY wet-dry; it's not going to be anything fancy but it'll work. I've had a 30 gallon rubbermaid that's been pretty useless so I'm going to set that next to the tank. I'll use something like a colander as a drip tray on top of a small plastic trash can for bioball housing. Just a bunch of cheap stuff.

I saw a juvenile carpenter wrasse at the LFS, and couldn't resist. I may or may not get pics of it soon, but it appears happy and healthy, especially with the frozen mysids I bought just for it.

Closed up the tank with some of that net that fruits come in. It was a little easier than cutting egg crate to fit around the filter and skimmer I have hanging on the back.

Saw a couple PJ cards, but I held off on them since I see them a lot more regularly so I'm not in any hurry.

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 19:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies