Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Hi guys.
We've had a pair of chalk bass for about a month now, for about 3 weeks they've been spawning and eating the eggs.
It now seems the male has a mouthfull of eggs for the first time.
Can anyone offer any tips regarding care of the fry, how long they'll stay in the mouth and around the parents? the female isnt interested at all, its the male thats hiding out and chugging them around in his mouth.
Thanks for any advice.
James
p.s they are in a 70g cube with 30kg of LR, a Yellow Eye Tang and a Flametail blenny.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2008 18:51Profile PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
hmmm... not sure much bud. As this is the first time I have heard of this. But, if they are like any of the other few SW species that mouth brood, you should get actual fry when they spit, and not have to worry about the larval stage, as in most species. If he is mouth brooding, you may want to look up some info about the cardinal fish. As they are mouth brooders as well. When they spit, you have very small fry. These guys I have seen spawns, though not had any luck breeding them myself. I would guess the care might be similar, with the exception of long spined erchins to help.

Keep us post dude!

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2008 21:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies