mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Lookin' good mez. What's the damsel I see in the first picture?

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 00:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
absolutly stunning!!! how many gallons? and how much did it cost you to get that thing going... (ie tank cost, live sand/rock cost, cost of all the live stock and cost of all the other stuff (salt and etc additives)...

thanks i am really wanting to start one of these but just dont want to spend much more than is utterly necessary... als o is it big enough for a trigger fish.. had my eye on the one at my LFS for a little while ( )

i love it!!!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 00:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Matty, It's a Cross' Damsel, seem quite rare, not much information on them apart from that they are one of the only damsels to retain their colour (aparantly they turn a coraline algae colour..), the latin name is Neoglyphidodon crossi.
Thanks for the comments,
Its a 24 gallon Nano..No, that is not big enough for a trigger im afraid - think a 4x2x2 or along those lines
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 00:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
damn.. well would it suit a blue tang a couple of clowns maybe the rest of the nemo cast and various anemones? i was thinking that or i might actually do a local california costal tank with some native species... but that woul require a really good chiller (to keep it at arround 60F)... How much did you pay for your nano as i really want a smal one that i might be able to put in my room... and a sort of starter if you will. not that i am any expert ant freshwater yet, but i would like to take a stab at salt water since i wish to one day become a marine biologist! thanks...

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 07:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
No...tangs and most of the nemo cast should be kept in tanks that are over 100 gallons IMO. Blue tangs get large and need swimming room, as do most of the others.

Occelaris clowns are the exception. They would do fine in a 24 gallon tank.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 15:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Brand,
Go for a local tank, make a "rock pool" - i think that would be good, scour the net for local species and then see if any stores stock them, if not, well...the rest is up to you (and your coastal wildlife protection scheme..).
A few of these are done in the UK, but im sure a Cali one would be much more colourful and entertaining.
James
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 22:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
DAM! (on the nemo cast)

ok well i was thinking i dont need permits to capture inverts off the coast (anemones, urchins, [baby lobster ], and maybe some crabs...) i was thinking a rock pool type thing for in the garage or downstairs where it stays cooler... but i just wanted to use water from the coastal areas and how would i do this (i wouldnt be collecting water at the beach but rather in blue water...) but that is a great idea and thanks... i was even thinking of doing something illegal and getting a very populous garibaldi fish as they are bright and friendly species but i think i can use a local ( well i am in LA and it is on catalina island somewhere i frequenlty visit) marine institute to help me with my plans! as they have some very interesting set ups that run off a water pumped from the bay (which is conserved)... I REALLY want a limpet too!

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 00:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
LOL limpets will come on your live rock, if you're going to nick anything from the sea get your rock, mate. dont bother taking rare/expensive fish, probably rare and expensive for a reason.
Anemones need a mature tank and a decent sized one too, not to mention most (all desirable..) anemones need high lighting, the ones in rock pools you are talking about will eat your fish and possibly your crabs, they all live off each other, a lobster and a crab in the same tank would mean one big fat crab or lobster...
also, im not sure how advisable it is to use "beach water" - theres a big difference in water quality where people swim and defecate in compared to out in the middle of a reef im pretty sure..
get your tank first, then figure out one thing you REALLY want (unless you want something huge..then in that case, figure out what you want before the tank) then base your tank around that.
Peace.
James
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies