Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLion Fish
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
Votes: 1
male usa
iwas wondering if their are different types of dwarf lion fish. i just purchased a lionfish today and the pet store said it was a dwarf lion but he looks like a volitan lion isit possible that it can be a dwarf volitan?
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 03:43Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
This article talks about lots of different species with descriptions and pics. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php
Maybe you can ID it for certain from there.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 04:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Whoops. It could be that you've bought a juvenile volitans ... in which case you're looking at a fish with a frighteningly fast growth rate that could hit 14 inches in length in a year ... !!!

You need to check the identity of your Lionfish fast. If you genuinely DO have a juvenile volitans instead of a Dwarf Fuzzy or similar Dendrochirus species, I'd negotiate a swap for something less demanding.

It's not that volitans is a fussy eater or delicate or anything like that - on the contrary, if you have the space for one, a volitans Lionfish is one of the most bullet-proof of all the marines. Of course, the fact that it WILL tolerate hobbyist water management errors is no excuse for making them, but I digress ... the trouble with keeping a volitans Lionfish is that it starts to need a large aquarium pretty quickly. Remember that this is a fish that can develop a 14 inch body length (not including tail fin) and a pectoral spread in excess of 18 inches, making it a fish that occupies a LOT of space. Basically this is a fish that should have 100 gallons at least.

As for there being different Dwarf Lionfishes, of course there are - I can name three off the top of my head, namely Dendrochirus biocellatus, the Fu Manchu Lion, Dendrochirus brachypterus, the Shortfin Dwarf Lion, and Dendrochirus zebra. Of these, I'd go for brachypterus as a nice, modest sized Lionfish that will be perky of disposition once acclimatised, and intelligent enough to take food from your fingers and accept hand feeding. Watch those dorsal spines though!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 05:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
male usa
he is small with redish brown stripes has some white in him and if you look closely at his fins he has some green in them. i tried to attach a picture but im not a "premium" member so maybe someone can help me figure out what i have.

Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 05:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
male usa
i had a idea after my last post if you want to see a picture of my lion fish i can e-mail it to you just post your e-mail adderess.

thanks for the help!!!!
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 05:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
male usa
well i donthave to id my lionfish anymore when i got up this morning i noticed he went to be with the good lord.
my water is good steady tempeture good filteration and he had no marks on him from other fish so im guessing he was sick when i got him.

im going to look for another one today but at a different pet store.

Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 17:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
EditedEdited by Calilasseia
Sorry to hear of your loss.

When you go looking for a Lionfish for your aquarium, and you KNOW you want a species that will stay relatively small (or t least small enough for your existing setup), check to see if the scientific name of the fish is listed. This cures ANY ambiguity. The Lionfishes you will be looking for ALL belong to the Genus Dendrochirus (nice mouthful there!), and my advice to you is that if the staff don't know the scientific name, start asking yourself questions about their potential husbandry deficits as well as knowledge gaps. A good quality retailer will strive to supply all relevant information, including scientific names, because scientific names are the 'gold standard' of identification, if you like.

To illustrate how important this can be, there are no less than FOUR species of similar looking Butterfly Fishes with cross-hatch markings on the side. These are:

Chaetodon xanthurus
Chaetodon paucifasciatus
Chaetodon mertensii
Chaetodon madagascariensis

Of these four, xanthurus is the easiest to keep by a long way. The other three are likely to be a challenge even to an experienced Butterfly Fish keeper, and in the case of madagascariensis, likely to be HIDEOUSLY expensive compared to the others because it's imported so rarely. Telling these fishes apart visually is possible, but if you're a relative newcomer to marine fishkeeping, you'll have your work cut out doing so unless some kind soul provides you with the scientific name. Likewise, some specimens of Chaetodon ulietensis can be confused visually with Chaetodon falcula, but there's a BIG difference in their ease of maintenance! A reputable outlet will not only know all of this, but happily pass it on to you so that [1] you don't end up with an expensive heartbreak on your hands, and [2] you come back and buy more fish and other goods from them. A good dealership that takes the time to cultivate your knowledge and advance your fishkeeping knowledge is, lamentably, rarer than it should be, so if you find one that hands out sensible advice, along with good quality stock, cultivate that dealership like a rare plant and learn to appreciate the gift!

Oh, and as if it needs saying, watch your prospective purchase actually feeding in the dealer's aquarium if your prospective purchase is known to be a finicky species. A fish that is actively pursuing food in the dealer's aquarium is likely to be a LOT tougher than one that isn't, especially if it's been chomping happily away for a week or more. Another thought that arises upon hearing of your Lionfish's demise is this - do you have to travel some distance from home to the dealer's? If you do, it might be well worth investing in a 'poly box' to transport your fishes, and if you're a car driver, whack up the car heating for the journey home to reduce the rate of cooling of the water your fish is in when being transported, particularly in Winter. Even hardy marines go belly up rapidly if they catch a chill.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 17:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
Baby lionfish of all type have quite high mortality rates its best to get them atleast 2 inches(tail included) they are that more hardier
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 17:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Ok i'll get one atleast 2 inchs. thank you for the help

Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 20:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies