AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# General Marine
  L# Moving Marine Tanks- Is It Possible!?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMoving Marine Tanks- Is It Possible!?
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 6
female usa
Okay, so this would be a really long story but I'll spare you guys the boring details and we'll suffice to say that I have a reef aquarium that is down south (lower 48 of the US) that I need to get here to Alaska, OR sell it all off. I love these fish dearly and I cannot bear to lose them, so I'm trying to figure out if I can move the tank- or rather parts of it.
Right now, it's a very understocked 55g tank- (1 false perc, 2 neon gobies, and 2 cleaner shrimp). I also have corals, but I think I'm going to try to sell them because I want to keep this as simple as possible. I'm thinking a 30g tank would probably hold these guys quite comfortably, and my plan would be to get the tank all set up, cycled, and completely ready before I even THINK about moving the fish.
The problem here is, I live off the road system, which means the only option for getting these fish to me is to bag 'em, tag 'em, and put 'em on a plane. It's about a two hour drive to the airport from where the fish are now, a three hour flight, then a five minute drive from the airport to my place.
Any tips, tricks, comments, or helpful household hints are very, very welcome. I would, best case scenario, like to have this done by the end of August because then the weather starts getting foul and I do NOT want my fish stuck in Seattle overnight while I have a nervous breakdown.

~~<><~~><>~~
"When push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love, even if it's not a good idea"
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2008 21:48Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I'm not sure on the specifics of marine fish or coral transport, but it certainly sounds possible. I suspect that fish, coral and rock went through a much longer journey to get to your tank in the first place

Have you done a forum search for general shipping info? There should be at least two long recent threads about it. It is FW, but a lot would still apply.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 19:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
try eamiling some small aquabid sellers to see how bes tto ship fish.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 22:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
Double bag them with plenty of air, packed in polystyrene boxes with heat packs and transport - try to ensure you have established tank water at the other end with you - all should be fine.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies