Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy 60g setup
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
Hi all,
im wanting too add one more fish to my current list. And am pretty freash out of ideas, ideally something small.
tank setup is

*2x2x2 60g display
*20g sump (maybe a little more or less with water level)
*6kg live rock
*12kg of base rock ( is starting to get some colour going now)
Current tank mates are
*2x percula clownfish
*1x clown/coral goby
*1x Ebli's Angelfish

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post them. My thoughts are currently leaning towards small hawkfish or flasher wrasse butwould like something a bit rarer.
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 04:18Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
There are many types of wrasse that are pretty rare, and will hurt your wallet, same goes for hawkfish, there's a pygmy species that is pretty rare, and really nice Sirbooks had a thread on it a while back, unfortunately his didn't do well, but we've had one in our store for months. Firefish are nice, and if you want something rare, try the Helfrich's firefish. Most cardinal fish would do well. There are lots of gobies and blennies that would work out for you. Maye try any of the prawn gobies and get him a pistol shrimp buddy. That's always a fun team to watch.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 16:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Want something different? Rare? Small enough to go in your 60G with your other fishes, pose relatively few compatibility problems (though if you're planning on keeping ornamental small shrimps, DON'T keep these fishes!), and likely to prove quite spectacular in the aquarium provided you have a couple of decent overhangs for it to occupy and some cave provision too?

Take a look here.

Loipropoma rubre, at 8 cm max SL, is a nice, VERY colourful fish that will live happily with your Eibl's Angel and your Goby, and should get along with your Clowns too. Be warned though, while it's pretty hardy, and shouldn't be difficult to integrate into your setup (unless of course you have ornamental shrimps that it'll eat upon arrival!) your biggest hurdle to acquiring this fish will be availability, followed pretty closely by the humungous price tag in relation to its small size. If you don't mind splashing out over $100 for a small fish, then this could be just what you're looking for. Here's a place that offers them for sale occationally under the name of "Swiss Guard Basslet".

Enjoy ...

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 17:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
EditedEdited by sirbooks
This isn't too helpful, but if you want the hawkfish to rule all hawkfish, check out Paracirrhites xanthus. They only hit around four inches in max length. The bad thing is, you'd have to sell your soul to find one for sale, and then pay out a thousand bucks for the fish. Personally, I'd be really tempted. Most aquarists don't even know that this beautiful fish exists!

As far as other options, small Cirrhitichthys hawkfish, blennies (Meiacanthus species are cool), and gobies are neat fish that you could have. There are tons of different gobies out there, many of which could work in your tank.

EDIT: Unfortunately I couldn't find any larger pictures of the hawk.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 18:18Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
No where near rare but i ended up gettinga long nose hawk. i couldnt resist him, the way he just hovers over food like a aqua humming bird. Photos to come i promise!

Quite amusing watching him perched on top snails
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2006 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies