RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
Kudos: 16
Votes: 26
female usa
EditedEdited by RIFIFOOL
I originally had one clownfish and one 3-striped Damsel. Today, my boyfriend and his brother surprised me with two new fish. One Jewel Damsel and a Strawberry fish [not sure if that's the correct name for it, but that's what he called it.].
The strawberry is really peaceful and has been hiding inside of a cave decor that I have all day. However, I knew my original Damsel was going to be agressive towards the new one. I'm surprised at how aggresively my clown is being, too! I don't know what to do because they really won't leave him alone and I feel horrible. Both of them keep cornering him and chasing him through the tank. I'm afraid they're going to hurt him!

1 Ocellaris Clown: $14.95...1 Pink Dottyback: $12.99...1 Three Striped Damsel: $4.50...1 Blue Velvet Damsel: $8.95
The Problems that come with them: Priceless
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 05:13Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
What size is the tank, and how long have you had your two original fish?

Also, what type of clown is it? Some are down right nasty.

I can easily believe the situation you are in now. It's not too much of a surprise that one damsel will defend its territory against another. They view this as an intrusion by the newcomers.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 06:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
It's a 10g. [I can't fit anything bigger anywhere in my room and I know that's too small]
I've had the two original fish in there for about 3 months.
It's a false Percula clown.

As of right now, I took out my original damsel and the clown. I moved around everything in the tank and when I put the clown back in a few minutes ago, he's been fine ever since. I'm still a little wary of adding the damsel, so I think I might wait a while longer before putting him back in to see what happens.
I just heard that doing that works because it confuses them since they were in there with that same position for so long and then when they go back in, they feel like the new fish so they won't be too territorial. I'm hoping this works just as well with my other damsel.
I don't think I'm going to be able to get any more damsel fish until I get a larger tank. I wish I could though. They're my favorites!

1 Ocellaris Clown: $14.95...1 Pink Dottyback: $12.99...1 Three Striped Damsel: $4.50...1 Blue Velvet Damsel: $8.95
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 06:36Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I don't think I'm going to be able to get any more damsel fish until I get a larger tank. I wish I could though. They're my favorites!

I think you'll have problems with how many fish you already have. It's too much for a 10 gallon tank. The original two you had were really more than enough. I'd think about taking your two new fish back, even if the aggression stops. Either that or upgrade your tank as you suggested above. You may want a 29 or 30 gallon tank for just the 4 you have now. I believe your jewel damsel will require a 50 gallon tank in the future, as it reaches a good 7 or 8 inches. The other three would fare well in a 30.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 15:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
Yeah, I know you're right and it kills me! The tank was a present from him along with everything in it. I just have to explain to him that some of them don't get along when they're cramped like that.
He just recently bought me a 150 g tank from someone he knew and when the guy was moving it, it shattered, so I thought that it wouldn't really be a problem anymore. If I can get a bigger tank soon, then I'll just wait it out a little bit longer and hopefully everything can be ok.
Do you know a way that I can settle down the fish for a little while more until I get it? It might be in a week or so.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 20:09Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Not sure, try moving the rockwork again, keep the lights off a lot. If they can't see each other they shouldn't bother each other as much.

I'd get a bigger tank or get one of those fish out soon. Situations like these can go south real quick.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2007 00:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
Yeah, I noticed a huge difference with the way they act when the lights are off. The new fish roams around the tank more unbothered.
If by the end of the week things don't improve, I'm going to give the bully fish to someone I know who has a much bigger marine tank so that he can chill out and the other fish can relax.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2007 22:11Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by Melosu58
Yeah as Matt said moving the rock around and cutting off the lights is usually the way to go as far as aggression issues go. I also believe when it comes to damsels and clowns which act like damsels that you have too many as Matt said also. You might want to see if your LFS will buy some back and sell to a good home.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2007 03:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
EditedEdited by sirbooks
I'm with the others, some of the fish have to go. Not only are there space and bioload issues, but both of your new fish are capable of becoming quite aggressive. Many dottybacks become very nasty once they've settled into a tank, and the strawberry dotty is no exception. The jewel damsel is even worse, they get big and bold. I've been bitten by an adult just for doing routine maintenance.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2007 17:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
Ok okokokokokok I'll take care of it.

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2007 21:52Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies