Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNano tank
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 1
male usa
Well i decided that i want to get a nano tank for college. so that i can have some salt wtaer fish in my dorm. i was looking at a 12 gallon for 100 dollars and wanted to start a mini reef with live sand. how much sand should i get and what kind the live and how much live rock and etc and at a good price thanks

In the age of darkness the blind man is the best guide. In the age of insanity look towards the mad man to show you the way
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 23:25Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
And i was wondering if i could youse the water from my other salt wtaer fish tank that has been running for 2 years or could it cause problems

In the age of darkness the blind man is the best guide. In the age of insanity look towards the mad man to show you the way
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 00:20Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I'd use about an inch or less of sand total unless you want a deep sand bed of over 3 inches. With that said if you haven't used any medications or anything like that, go ahead and use sand from your other setups as live sand. Just a small scoop or whatever. No use in adding water from your existing setups, nothing beneficial there.

I'd try for about 15 lbs of LR in the tank there. Also make sure to increase water movement if you are purchasing an all-in-one style tank. They never really have enough water movement. I'd suggest a koralia nano.

Good price for LR would be less than 6ish dollars per lb for cured rock. If you don't mind the wait and sometimes the smell, you can get uncured rock for less.

Good luck.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 06:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
this is the tank i have

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+15559&pcatid=15559

Nano Cube Deluxe Aquarium w/FREE Nano Cube Stand

Nano Cube Deluxe 12 Gallon Aquarium
Lighting
Includes a powerful 24-watt 50/50 compact fluorescent lamp to provide the ultimate in coral health and coloration. Installed with a splashguard lens for bulb and ballast protection. Energy-saving ballast allows for "flicker-free" starts and dependable long-term performance. Provides maximum light output with the least amount of heat production. Deluxe includes (2) 24-watt 50/50 compact fluorescent lamps to meet the needs of the serious reef enthusiast.

Filtration
This discreet filtration system is hidden to provide maximum space for your aquarium inhabitants. Sponge filter traps detritus and free-floating particulate matter. Activated carbon bag removes dissolved organics and odors. Ceramic Rings and Bio-Balls provide the ideal environment for beneficial bacteria.

Pump
The included submersible pump is rated at 106 gph for water circulation.

Double Fan Cooled Canopy
Heavy-duty ABS canopy can be flipped back and held in place for easy access for cleaning and feeding. Specifically designed for extra heat output with 4 vents and 2 built-in cooling fans to dissipate excess heat. Ensures cooler operation to extend the life of bulbs and ballast. Deluxe Nano Cube features a ventilated reflector.

Ball Bearing Fans
Quieter operation than standard fans on the market.

Then what souldi do for my water ... wouldent my all ready set up tank be better then adding water from my sink

Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2008 00:52Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You should IMO always use purified water ( RO/DI )and salt from a good salt brand to start a new tank. New sand seeded with a little of your old sand and live rock will be plenty to get the cycle going for you.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2008 02:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
I am not useing sand im useing live rock in my fish only tank with base rock should i try sprinkling some of that.

Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 00:03Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
i still think people who use tap water for any marine tank (whether fish only or not..) are a world behind...the stuff comes from copper pipes, man!
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You don't have to use sand if you don't like. My most recent venture is a bare bottom tank.

Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 04:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
i am looking at a few ro units on ebay there are selling for a bought 100 dollars what do u guys think

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dow-RO-DI-unit_W0QQitemZ330205730030QQihZ014QQcategoryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 23:24Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'd ask him how long it was used. You may get it only to find that the membrane needs replaced.

I'd personally just buy a new one from this guy. I bought my first setup from him and would not hesitate to buy again.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 00:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies