---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
EditedEdited by sirbooks
Other fish? That depends on what kind of setup you have (live rock or no, etc.) your equipment, current tankmates including non-fish, and of course the size of your aquarium. Porcupines will eat or at least bite a great many invertebrates, and will consume smaller fish. If you choose any other fish at all, they should be at least medium-sized animals which are capable of defending themselves against the puffer, but that won't go out of their way to harm it.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 20:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
What size tank do you have? The basic information would help answer your question!
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 20:44Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
Votes: 1
male usa
for right now he is in a 30gal and with live rock and fake rock
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 21:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Whoa! I hope you realize the special care that puffers need. They need to be fed a meaty diet, and also fed things like clams, scallops, etc that are still in the shell so they can file down their beaks. If you dont feed them these foods then you will have to find a vet that will file the teeth (beaks) down for you. They also get huge! You will need to plan on upgrading to a minimum of a 240g tank (IMO anyway) to keep the puffer long term. Puffers also are very hard to treat for disease because they are very sensitive to most medications.

Even as a small puffer, I think a 30g tank is way too small for it considering its feeding behaviours and how messy of a eater it is.

I would not add ANY fish with the puffer in a 30g as it is overstocked with just the puffer. Unless you plan on upgrading to a very large tank soon, then Id reconsider the puffer
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 21:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Agreed. You don't have the water volume for the fish, or even enough swimming space. Porcupine puffers tend to enjoy buzzing around their aquarium, and need a lot of room. Yours will get cramped in that thirty gallon pretty quickly.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 22:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
I need to know where did you but this from? Also IMO they only need a 75g tank...

Chris
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 23:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Porcupine puffers can reach a foot in size or some sites said 1 1/2' so while a 75 may hold a calm inactive fish of that size it will not hold a messy constantly moving fish. Plus a 75 barely provides room for a 1' fish to actually turn around. Any decorations, which would be needed for a healthy puffer, would quickly compress the space the puffer has to actually turn and swim. This is a fish that needs at least a 75g now while it's small and something that's more like 180g or more in the near future. A 180 would be 2' wide and 6' long and still not really enough for a 1 1/2' fish. The 240g would be much better especially if you want to add any other tankmates. It would allow room for a good rock structure giving the puffer plenty of places to hide and explore so it's not bored or stressed out and have enough water volume to handle the bioload of a quite messy fish.
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2006 04:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I totally agree with Sham...a fish that reaches 18 inches in home aquaria needs a tank much bigger than a 75 to be happy, especially long term
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2006 04:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
180g at the smallest, porks get huge and create enough mess for 2 fish of the same size easily.
if you cant upgrade maybe take him back and look at blue dot or small toby puffers. they have the same personality in alot smaller package
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2006 19:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies