Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSand ??
uglyryder
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male
ok so live sand at LFS is crazy. so im wondering if i can use commercial grand sand. i fond some at Lowews http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=19178-286-196251 is this ok to use? i have a 54 gallon corner, its my first tank and im just now setting it up. im going for a FOWLR for now, when i upgrade the lighting im gonna try a REEF.

TANK: 54 Gallon Corner FOWLR
FILTER: Fluval 304 Canister Filter
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 18:22Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
EditedEdited by brandeeno
live sand hosts alot of beneficial bacteria that the wholesale sand does not!

so might i reccomend you but 25%-75% live sand to seed the other sand...

also you wont be able to have very many fish in this tank until after all the sand is seeded as in all of the sand host a healthy amount of bacteria...

but it is a fairly good plan... also look into lots of live rock to help with biological filtratin and future homes for corals and anemones...

EDIT: but i am not a SW expert nor a keeper of SW tanks, these are just observations i have noticed in my reading in a quest to obtain knowledge to begin one...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
That is not a good choice in sand for a SW setup. That is sylica sand, and is innert. For SW setups, you will need a calcium based sand to help buffer the ph and hardness of the water to higher levels. If you use the sand you have posted there, you are going to have a nightmare of a time usuing many additives all the time, just to keep the ph and hardness of the water, at the required levels for the fish and all other critters in the tank. If you get some live rock, you don't have to get live sand. But you do need a calcium based sand. Crushed coral is good if you cannot find any calcium based sand. Look for sand that contains Aragonite. Aragonite is the calcium based sand. As the sylica sand is much cheaper, it is mostly what you are going to find in places other than LFS. You might try asking at your local hardware store, about play sand as well. Sometimes they carry the Aragonite sand listed as playsand. If not, I highly recomend you get the Aragonite sand you will find for sale at the lfs. Or the crushed coral.

Also, the sand you have shown there, will be more brown looking as well. The Aragonite sand will be very white and bright. Making for a much nicer appearance in the tank as well.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 16:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Southdown play sand trumps all. It is an aragonite sand. But I'm not sure if it's available anymore. It seemed it was barely available when I first forayed into marine aquaria years back, and I got extra sand from a reefkeeper I knew.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 20:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
uglyryder
-----
Small Fry
male
what about this then?

Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2008 23:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
no link mate..
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2008 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
uglyryder
-----
Small Fry
male
http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandPremiumPlay.asp

oops...

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2008 00:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
According to the MSDS, that is sylica sand as well. So no, it is no good either.

I have not seen SouthDown playsand in a few years now. I don't think they sell it anymore, or it has a different name.

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2008 00:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
uglyryder
-----
Small Fry
male
well i guess im in trouble then..cause thats what i used...

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2008 01:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
uglyryder
-----
Small Fry
male
is this what your talking about?

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0160308.html

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2008 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
Yep, that's the stuff you need right there. There is other brand names too, but that is the main name brand most use.

As for you getting that other sand already, I either hope you are looking to change it, or getting ready to add Calcium and other stuff to keep your ph and hardness up. Because without adding it, you are going to have major troubles.

I must say though. You need patience with SW tanks, especially the setup process. If you don't have patience, you will not last long in the SW era. SW setup and keeping is not that difficult. The number one reason people have problems with SW tanks, is they don't have the patience to wait till things are ready. You should have waited for the correct type of sand. I highly urge you to get the correct type of sand instead of the other stuff you say you already purchased. Other wise, I fear you will not be in the SW side of fish keeping very long.

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2008 16:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies