bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
im trying my hand at saltwater again.

I have my 20 high set up with water for 2 weeks. The tank is bare for now, i plan on adding sand and live rock in 2 weeks.

Currently i have the tank only have full but the hydrometer reads 1.024, and the temp is 78*F.

Right now the tank has a florcent light strip on it as it was for FW before.

So im looking into new lighting.

I have a few questions, first which is better, i was looking at both.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12109&N=2004+113345

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11418&N=2004+113345

Another question is, what is the blue bulb for? is that the lunar light or is that those little light things in the front of the hood.

My last question is what is a good fish to start with, i was thinking of something like a half banded goby.
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2007 02:32Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
First question: what are you going to do in this tank? FOWLER? Reef?

If you're doing a reef, definitely go with the coralife fixture or MH if you can afford it. The tank may be too deep for PC's...

Advantages of the coralife fixture:
More light - happier/faster growing corals
Two ballasts - can control both bulbs independently
Name brand - coralife is known for quality and reliability (probably a better warranty, too)

I guess I'm not exactly sure what the blue (actinic) bulb is for. I know that corals like it and that it makes the tank look nicer (color), but that's all I know about it, really...

There are a good number of good beginner SW fish. Firefish are hardy, but tend to be jumpers (keep a lid on the tank!)... I haven't had a problem with mine, though. Most damsels are hardy, but they're known to be aggressive and hard to catch once you decide you want to get rid of them. Most gobies should be fine, IMO. Just be sure to stay away from the fish that eat strictly live foods (pods, etc) and algae until your tank is more established (6 months + minimum)...

Good luck with it!
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2007 04:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
im planning a fish only with live rock,

so the coral life is going to be good,

Thanks for the info, im planning on ording from DRFS.com tonight along with some other goodies.

The goal of the tank is to have a pair of false pelicua.
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2007 00:37Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Alright then, the coralife sounds good

Good luck with the clowns
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2007 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
The blue light is the only part of the spectrum that will make it to the corals in the ocean. That`s why I use 2 super actinic and 2 50/50 lights bulbs. If you are only going to do FOWLR then your lights you have now will be enough. If you get corals then you`ll need to upgrade.
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2007 00:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies