L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCichlid?
Wfish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 18
By the way keep giving me your opinion, this really helps. I enjoy this tank and have a 5 gal quarintine tank 4 it.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 19:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
Rams are sensitive to water quality, meaning that if you start having some ammonia or nitrite in the tank, it could kill them. IME they are also sensitive to stress. I had a female blue ram that got an injury, most likely from my bolivian and she died the next day. When I discovered the injury, she was swimming around, but acting weird. I didn't even get a chance to treat her with any meds.

I personally wouldn't put a pair of rams (blue or bolivian) in a 10g, unless they were the only fish in there. Actually I don't think I'd do blue rams in a 10g at all unless they were alone, the tank was heavily planted, and you were very strict about water changes. Since you already have the guppies in the tank, I would wait on the rams until you have a bigger tank.

I think I'd go with the guppies, a female betta, and a few ottos and call the tank stocked. 10g tanks are best left understocked, if possible because they are not as stable as larger tanks (you can have ammonia and nitrite build up in a cycled smaller tank more easily).

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 01:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bonny
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Engineer in waiting
Kudos: 498
Votes: 7
male uk
EditedEdited by bonny
From my own experience I wouldn't put any betta in a community tank.

Generally they like very still water and they'll either get very agressive towards other fish (the one i had in my tank years ago really did not like my angels ) or they will get their fins nipped very badly.

Just get a decent sized bowl/tank (about 1-3 gallons) with a bit of substrate, a little plant, and a very tight lid perforated with holes so they can breathe.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 10:46Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
EditedEdited by BlackNeonFerret
I disagree about the bettas. It depends on the temperment, i've got one with some tetras and cories.
but rams, bettas, guppies AND ottos? Isn't that a bit much for a ten?
i'd definatly skip the rams. And have only one betta
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 21:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bonny
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Engineer in waiting
Kudos: 498
Votes: 7
male uk
Yes you're right, it does depend on the temperement. However IMO and experience I think that it is too much of a risk and that betta's are more suited on their own, epspecially in a tank that size.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 11:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wfish
-----
Hobbyist
went w/ Girliegirl's first suggestion. I was going to get a ram but they cost too much!
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 22:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
So you have the guppies and ottos?

Got any pictures?

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 23:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wfish
-----
Hobbyist
Not otos yet. No photos either but when I get some i will notify you and give you a link.
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 02:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies