Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIdeas for new 36g Bowfront w/ Bolivian Rams
inlikefish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 64
Votes: 2
male usa
Hello everyone (anyone?) who might still post here... I used to post here many years ago and stopped when I took a break from the fish life. Well it's been about 6 years and I have an itch to set up a new tank and get going again.

I saw a nice little 36g bowfront at Pet Smart that looks like it will fit nicely in the spot I have and I am thinking about getting it later in the year, probably after August.

I used to have a Bolivian Ram that I loved to keep and I want to make that my centerpiece. I also think I might like to add some cories (jewel or panda) and a Bristle Nose Pleco.

Does anybody see anything wrong with these combos? Can anyone add how many of each I might want in a 36g tank and suggest any other possible tank mates? I have plenty of time to make plans and I'm not set on anything yet. Just planning
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2014 22:04Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Sounds like a great combination to me! I would go with a pair of rams and then 10 cories or so, the bristlenose, and a school of tetras (rummynose, lemon, bloodfin, are all good ones that look great when they get settled in a tank - sometimes not as good in the dealer's tank.) Pearl danios are another great option - I'd go for about 10-15 of one kind of schooling fish.

><>
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2014 01:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
inlikefish
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks Superlion! I totally forgot to mention that I will probably go with a school of 10 danios as my cycle fish. We've had zebra danios before and I've always liked the leopard danios. I'll check out the pearl too.

Would you recommend all one type of cory or would it be ok to do like 5 pandas/5 julies? Or I can tweak those ratios since the pandas are much smaller. 8/6 or something. I don't know. All depends what I can find when I'm ready for fish.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2014 17:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
5 of each would work. I tend to like having bigger groups of the same species, but 5 is a pretty decent group for cories, and they get along with other species fine.

Pearl danios are one of the species I've kept with the best schooling behavior. They're also quite attractive with shiny pastel colors.

><>
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2014 21:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
inlikefish
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks again. Come to think of it my brother in law has 2 Giant Danios that he's using on a current cycle. He says when I'm ready I can take those to cycle my tank.

In my search of the pearl danio I came across the 'Celestial Pearl Danio'. I really like! Might go with a school of those if I could ever find them.

All depends on the LFS.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2014 16:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
inlikefish
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited 26-Jun-2014 20:50
I have also considered doing a shelly setup in this new tank but I am leaning more towards a community tank. I successfully kept Multis in a 10g tank several years ago but man.... They multiplied like crazy!

I could still change my mind and go with shellies again... But For now I am liking the BRam idea.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2014 20:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies