L# Ideas for starting a 37 Gallon freshwater tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIdeas for starting a 37 Gallon freshwater tank
Jbob1031
Small Fry
Kudos: 13
Votes: 1
usa us-maryland
For his birthday my mans father bought us a 37 gallon tank that once we find room for we would love to fill with live plants and larger fish (compared to our 10Gal tank)

any ideas on some good hardy friendly fish that would work well in that size tank?
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2011 04:42Profile PM Edit Report 
gaulfinger
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 22
Votes: 66
male usa us-tennessee
Welcome! How large is large? I've had great luck with some of the larger tetras, like the Colombian Tetra. It's large for a tetra, but not compared to cichlids. A school of these, 6-8 should do well in a tank that size. They are attractive and do well with plants.

What are you thinking in terms of plants? I have found that getting enough lighting takes some planning and CO2 injection really helps.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2011 05:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Jbob1031
Small Fry
Kudos: 13
Votes: 1
usa us-maryland
not trying to go too large with them, something decent sized that can live comfortable in the tank with maybe 5 or 6 decent sized others. we would like to have live plants as well so tips on good fish to have with those would be awesome too. thanks
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2011 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
How much light does the tank have over it, that will determine what type of plants go in. Java fern and anubias are two good plants to start with for all level light from low to high. They get tied to rock or driftwood (will die off in the gravel) and most fish won't eat them.

As for fish, have a look at the LFS to decide what type of fish you like. Calm and laid back south american? More active asian? territorial cichlid?

37 is a nice step up. Is it a long tank? or standard dimensions?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2011 10:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies