L# Getting Started
  L# Is this overkill? (20 gal)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIs this overkill? (20 gal)
reostzombie13
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
I originally got this tank for a snake but the sale went away. So I thought I should use for fish because they're simple. Not really.

My first day was the worst. The people at the bookstore didn't know what they were doing. They told me I could get a snail for a fresh tank but later I was told you have to at least wait a month for algea. Also, no one explained to me the problem of chlorine. Here's what happened, my red tail jumped out and instantly died and my moonlight Gourami died and got stuck to the filter.

Now, I'm doing okay only having the problem of high moderately high amonia with no effects yet.
My fish are:
2 Giant Danios
2 Glolight tetra
1 Moonlight Gourami
3 Neon tetras

Can I get more?
What tetras flow with each other?
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2009 23:52Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
You might be able to get more or, more likely, different fish later on, but for now STOP

What filtration are you using? (make and model)
What substrate do you have? (sand, pebbles, river rock, etc)
Live plants or plastic decor?
Have you read about cycling and did you seed the tank using pre-cycled gravel or a bacteria booster?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2009 13:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
It will be too much in the future. The giant danios and the moonlight gourami will grow way too large for a 20 gallon aquarium.

If you have ammonia, you should do water changes to bring it down while you have fish in the tank that it could poison.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2009 20:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reostzombie13
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
Calla,
Aqeon Filter 30?(I'm not home right now so it may be different)
I use gravel
There is one semi plastic plant
I don't know the whole science of cycling just that a tank goes through it when one first gets a tank and water levels are going to be crap.

Death God,
Yeah, I'm hoping to get a 55 gal someday to cover the problem. Than I can get a red tail shark

I do water changes a bunch but nothing seems to be changing anymore.
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2009 12:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Heres a link about the cycling process

Where'd you get the gravel from?

I agree that you've got some fish that are going to be a real problem for the 20 in the not so distant future. IMO you should be on the lookout for a 55 or larger, you might find one in the papers for cheap(ish).

^_^

Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 00:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
You could also try keeping an eye out at garage and estate sales. YEARS ago, I once missed the opportunity by ONE hour of getting a 75 gallon tank for $55.00 (or maybe it was a 55 gallon for $75.00) with all of the equipment (decorations too) included. *shrugs* Either way, I was really upset with myself for not getting there sooner. BUT, (and this may annoy the person selling the tank) you should ask the seller if you can test the tank by filling it up at least halfway with water to ensure it's not leaking. Pet stores may guarantee the quality of their tanks, but individual sellers at garage sales and especially at estate sales (because the owner is usually dead at this point and the family has hired people to come in and mark the stuff and then sell it off) may not know if the tank is still sound.

And at estate sales especially you can try bargaining with the sellers. Their goal is to get rid of everything, and will work with people on some items to make the sale, so if it's marked at one price, never hesitate to ask if you can get it cheaper, or have something else thrown in with it.

Yeah, I know I don't know squat about the fish themselves, and how to keep them, lol, but I do know a tiny bit about making sure the tank doesn't leak, lol.
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2009 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies