AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Neglected tank needed saving....
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeglected tank needed saving....
devon7
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 356
Votes: 4
female usa
EditedEdited by devon7
So I left my parents a 30 gallon tank to care for when I left for college, and nobody has cleaned it at all! All my plants were dead (except for one) and the tank has been totally covered in thick black slimey algae. I scrubbed down the inside walls of the tank, did a pretty thorough gravel-vac though there is still a lot of debris in there, took the rocks and remaining plants out and scrubbed the algae off and put them back... some of the gravel is still black and grimey but most of it isnt too bad. as far as inhabitants, there is one angel and two yoyo loaches, all healthy. I'm going to get a nice big swordplant i think, and i still need to clean out the filter and replace the filter inserts... is there anything I'm forgetting?

What else can I do to fix up this tank? Do you think it is OK to add a small school of cardinal tetras or something, or is that pushing the waste load? What are some plants that are difficult to kill? I think if I make it look really nice I can convince my parents to start cleaning and taking care of the tank.

edit: do you think the black slime is going to come right back if i dont totally eradicate it from everything?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 05:06Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
My first concern would be to make sure your tank will be cared for when you go back to college(that is if you aren't done). It would be a waste of time and money to replant and restore your tank if your only going to leave it with your family again.

good Luck

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Yeah i lectured my dad today he says he likes the tank and he'll keep it up if i give him easy instructions.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 05:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
A few very hardy plants are, java moss, java fern, vallisneria if you have atleast 2 watts per gallon, anacharis, and hornwort(this will overgrow your tank if not trimmed often)

your definantly not overstocked, you have many choices for new fish, I put a few suggestions on the other thread

Also, defiantly get rid of all the algae first. If it does come back, then cut down the amount of time the lights are on, don't feed the fish as much, and add plants to aid you

hope this helps

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 05:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
EditedEdited by devon7
Theres not too much of the algae left, its mostly just on some of the gravel peices... I'm thinking a fish might do the rest of the work as i dont really want to take each grain out and scrub it... do you think this is the type of algae that fish will munch on? I know some types they wont even touch and I'm no algae buff... If it is a type that fish will eat I'm thinking either a bristlenose or 3 or 4 otocinclus might do it? or should i go for a combo to really get the job done?

edit: after doing a little research I think the algae is called brush algae? It is very blackish greyish dark green, and formed kind of a carpet on everything, less than a centimeter thick... I figured out (i think) the reason its growing is from my dad overfeeding (i told him to feed them about half as much and half as often as he is now...) and because the plants had all died, and the water hasn't been changed, only "topped off." anyway, do you think the fish i'm thinking of will eat this type of algae?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 06:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I really wouldn't suggest getting another fish for the tank, especially if your relying on someone else to maintain the tank.
The only fish I can think of that eats BBA is SAE...but I could be wrong.

As for when you head back, I think it might help if you printed out a photo guide. Take a pic of everyone in the tank, make sure they take a head count every day. Have a pic of how much food should be fed and when. Print out a calender with premarked water change days and have them check off when they do it? Let them know there is some flexibility but that maintence really is required.

And check up on them , we all know parents can't be trusted ..... kidding .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 08:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Thats a good idea, i think i will make my dad a little handbook
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 23:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Forgot to mention, you might want to keep them in those plastic page protectors .

Nothing like having perfect directions printed out and having them doused by an errant water siphon .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 00:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Personally, with 1angels and 2 yoyo loaches,
I think you are pretty close to full stock.
Angels get huge and yoyos reach a pretty nice
solid 4 inches each themselves.

You could possibly have room for a small group
of some schooling fish (5).
Remember though, most small fish wont survive if the tank
goes to heck again like it has.
And, if you cant rely on the parents to change the water,
can you rely on them to find and fish out the dead fish
if the small schoolers keel over n die?
Id probably leave the stocking as is for now, until
you are back home and able to care for it.

For plants, Java fern, Wisteria, Vallisneria, Java moss,
anubias, cryptocornes, are all nice looking plants that will grow well from .5 to 2.5 watts per gallon.
I keep all these in 0.8 wpg lighting with no problems.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
Actually they gey bigger than that. My wife returned from her trip to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and said they have some yo-yos twice that size. Said that even though mine are large (one is 4.5 inches and the other a solid 5) the ones there are huge, like they get in the wild.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 19:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Yoyo loaches, even in the wild, rarely
exceed 6 inches.
4 inches is average.
If they were larger than 6 inches, its likely
they are a related species, but not actually
botia lohachata.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 01:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
If I have to go away I tape a portion size to piece of paper as a guide. I instruct the carers to have one food free day per week (in case they over-feed).

My mum, bless her, was counting out 17 pellets (exactly!) while I was in China. Only came out months later that she had counted them! Very exacting she was. My constant dire warnings about over feeding must have sunk in. I NEVER re-feed just for show for guests.

I agree that restocking would be a mistake.

Leave clear instructions like
Each fortnight;
Take out one bucketful of water by using the gravel vac
Refill bucket with tap water, add one teaspoon (or 10 drops or whatever!) of this dechlor
Replace floss every second cleaning session, squish out the filter foam in a bucket of dirty water (not tap water) on the alternate water change.

Consider getting plastic plants just while you are away. Plants may be contributing to the mire. plastic ones will give shelter and won't muck the water. I know they may not be your choice of decor but you are wanting to make it as easy as possible to maintain.

Do you have a timer for the light. If your parents forget to switch off the light it may be contributing to the algae. Another benefit of plastic plants (just while you are away) is they require a shorter light period. So you can set the timer for 6 hrs per day and there will be less algae build up on the glass.

I like Babel's idea of a calendar.
Feb 3: "Dad, please clean fishies today!... thanks and top job"
Feb 10: No cleaning this week, enjoy golf instead!
Feb 17: "Thanks for doing the tank dad, don't forget to change the floss this week"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies