Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 6 footer
cappa
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male australia
I'm about to buy a brand new 6 foot tank and am looking for ideas and or pictures. I've had a 4 foot community tank before but I want this one to be different. I'm crazy about all african cichlids. Not so much the american cichlids. I also love the smaller fish like those of the cyprinid and charachin families. Ultimately I want to set up a tank that represents a real body of water. I dont want to mix all the fish that dont belong together. Plants are also something I want to try.
Getting to my question.... What sort of setup could I have that isn't too much hassle to look after (not more than an hour or two for weekly maintenance), is aesthetically pleasing and represents a region. Hopefully I can create something that the fish can feel comfortable enough to breed. If anyone has any ideas please?

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2007 11:17Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'd suggest going with an asian themed tank if you're interested in plants. You can have lots of the lower light level plants, and schools of fish from the area like loaches, barbs, maybe even bala sharks with that sized tank.

If you're going with a low maintenance tank, you'll want to stick with lower light plants. Lets face it, on that sized tank you're going to need a lot of watts just for low light plants. I'm not too sure, but my limited experience with cichlids is that they tend to be rough on plants.

As for how to set it up visually? I'd suggest some large hardscaping pieces (rock wood) to make a central focus, then add the plants as a filler.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 03:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
cappa
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male australia
Thanks Babelfish,
What kind of substrate would be a good in terms of gravel size and nutrients for the plants?
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
You'll want a smaller gravel size. I know there are substrates out there directed at the planted tank. I'm not sure what brands are sold here in Oz though someone else will have to weigh in on that.

However unless you decide to go above 2wpg with CO2, you just need any substrate, with some fert tabs for any root feeders. If you go with something like javafern (one of my favorite plants) you won't need to worry about substrate as they're leaf feeders.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 05:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I have a Tanganikan tank with some N.brichardi & N.leleupi. I have alot for rock work & in between the rocks, i have some Anubias, that are doing really fine. The fish don't mess with them & so the grow a leaf, every 3/4 weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 12:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies