Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew Tank
simon77
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Hi, this is my first post of many....

Im buying a 4x18x24 tank, and am thinking of the following stocking ( i used the 'communiy calculator' off THINKFISH - but i dont think its right!)

4 Platy's
8 harlequins
4 corydoras
10 black neons
10 cardinals
12 guppys
10 tiger barbs
4 Kribs
5 molly's
2 paradise fish

I know that temp/ph wise they'd pretty much be ok, but ive my doubts over the tigrs and the guppys.

BUT - thinkfish reckons thats just half full, that i could double them all up. Wouldnt that be too much??

thanks
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 19:33Profile PM Edit Report 
simon77
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
48" x 18" x 24" even....
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 19:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
That's a 75 gallon tank, right? Kind of in a rush, can't stop to think on that, I'll just give you some quick ideas...

First, I would definitely bump the cories up into the correct school size, being at least 6-8 members. More is better, as you'll see more of the antics that cories are known for. Also, which species do you intend to go with?

You have platies, guppies and mollies. All are live bearers. Unless you intend to get all MALES of these species, don't even bother thinking about more fish, because you're going to be overrun with fry in no time. Even with some of the more aggressive fish in this community, you're going to have more fry than you know what to do with, I'm sure.

Personally, I would cut down the schooling fish (harlequins, black neons, cardinals, barbs) to one or two species at the most and bump up the individuals in each school. Otherwise, you're going to have a LOT going on in that tank.

As for the tigers, I'm going to caution you that they are one of THE nippiest fish that I can think of. Your guppies (and likely some of your other fish as well) are probably going to be picked on.

Paradise fish can also be pretty aggressive from what I've read. However, I have no experience with either those or kribs, so I'm going to leave opinions on those to other members. I can mention that paradise fish are related to bettas, though, so keep that in mind. I'm going to assume they would pick on the guppies as well.

Good luck!

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 21:14Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Nope a 48x18 is a 90g. The livebearers will still overstock it if you get both males and females. I started with 5 guppies and even with seperating out all the male and female babies just the male offspring had practically filled my 90g a few months later. I gained several 100 guppies a month even though I was only allowing 1 or 2 females to breed. No one wants livebearer fry either so unless you've got something to feed them to or are breeding very good show quality fish of an uncommon color I wouldn't mix males and females no matter what size tanks you've got.

I would remove the tiger barbs from that list. They are too nippy and even if your other schoolers do ok the paradise fish will definitely be destroyed and probably the livebearers as well. Otherwise the rest of your schools would be fine except I would actually up the cories to at least 6-8. They prefer to be in a large group just like the rest of the schooling/shoaling fish and are the only bottom dwellers you have listed so you have plenty of space. Depending on what species of cory you get you might even be better off with 10-12.

The paradise are a potential issue. A 90g is fairly large and might be ok for 2 males but probably not. If you can get 2 females they will be fine or a male and female might work. I kept male, female pairs in 60-80g stock tanks outside without issue but if they decide to spawn the male may become agressive toward everything else in the tank. If your not set on them I'd look into a slightly more peaceful labyrinth fish. Even blue/3 spot gouramis would be a better choice and more likely to get along with each other. In a 90g you could even go with some of the larger gouramis like snakeskins.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
If you're doing male and female livebearers then you do have the potential for a lot of fry.

I personally would keep the tiger barbs out of a potentially peacefully setup like this one.

Less schooling groups, pick one or two and really increase the number, you definitely have the space.

The paradise fish are basically your centerpiece fish but keeping two together, even M/F, can be iffy. Other gouramis or even and angelfish would work. They'd also help with livebearer fry control

Add maybe a BN to your bottom feeders ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 12:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
90gal, my bad. Told you I wasn't thinking. Sorry... 75 is 48 x 18 x 20. Nice tank, Simon. You can do a lot with that.

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 13:12Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies