AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# New tank, old fish-- Should I move them?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew tank, old fish-- Should I move them?
EmDehl
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 38
Votes: 2
female usa us-minnesota
Hi guys! Long time no... type?

So, a little back story first: in 2003, I moved back to Minnesota. At first I was staying in my old room at my dad's, so I set up a small 10-gallon tank with harlequin rasboras and a small pack of cories. I ended up getting my own place fairly quickly, of course, but didn't take my fish with me right away.

So, fast forward six years, and I want to set up a proper tank again in my place (I've been here two years, I think it's time!) but am undecided on moving the harlies over here. Their life span is supposedly 5-6 years, and I'm worried the stress of being bagged, moved into a new tank, new water, etc would be too much for these geriatric fish.

So what do you guys think? Should I let them live out their lives in that small tank or chance moving them into the new tank?

(Of course, if I move them, their tankmates will be harlie-friendly; if I don't, I would have more freedom in choosing fish.)
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 15:16Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hey! nice to see you again!

I'd say set up the new tank and get it going before moving them. If it is just a case of bag > cooler > unbag > go, you should be fine. The trick will be getting a new tank nice and comfy for them

The other thing of course, is if your Dad would like to keep them around. I don't think you should have trouble moving them if you want to and get everything ready first, but if he's attached then I'd be tempted to just start fresh with new fish

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Aye, coming from a family that's known for leaving pets at parents houses (chinchilla, cat, roosters, tiny kittens smuggled down on the train ) you may want to check with your dad first. He's obviously shown that he's able to care for them properly!

Otherwise I agree with Calla, get the tank set up and comfy for them, and do as easy of a move as you can. We've moved our fish a lot in the past few months. From tank (rain water) to town water, to another town water in another town all with different chemistry. Trick is 1.)making sure you have electricity turned on at wherever you are moving to (which I don't see as a problem in your case) and 2.) taking as much water from their old tank (which you know to be good and disease free unlike when you get them from the LFS) as possible.

If your dad enjoys having them around, then of course not only do you get to start your tank fresh, but you managed to get another person into the hobby

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 21:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
chopper3678
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male
i just moved my freshwater fish in a day just take ur new tank fill it 3/4 up with the old tank water then put new water in let it cycle for a day then just bag the fish set him in there for 30 minutes and release
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I'd just let your dad keep the old guys and you get yourself some new fish!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 2
male usa us-florida
i would have just gotton new fish.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2010 00:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies