Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNo Nitrate?
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
Well, it's day 8 of the cycle. It's a brand new 20 gallon long, no seeding, live plants, or cycle. I started adding 10 drops per day, but when i wasn't getting results, I started adding 60. This worked and my ammonia was boosted up to 5.0. However, my problem is that over a week later and the ammonia is staying just that, ammonia. Any ideas why it isn't converting to nitrate and how i can fix it?
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 03:50Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Too much ammonia. There's probably so much that it's inhibiting the cycle. I'd pull out 3/4 of the water and try to keep the amonia level at about 1ppm. 10-20 drops per day is plenty. Plus it's a good idea to try seeding the tank with something that may have the beneficial bacteria in or on it. Maybe some gravel or filter floss from another tank. And don't get too antsy, remember it takes about 4 weeks to get through the cycle.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 04:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
EditedEdited by djtj
I don't have another tank. That's why I didn't seed in the first place.
Instead of pulling the water out, could I just not put drops in there for a while?
EDIT
and there is no nitrite either
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 05:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Nyteflame
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
female usa
I used 50 drops a day in my 10 gallon (i know, ammonia concentrations are different) but realy, it could be 2 weeks before you see a difference, since you werent able to seed it.

I wouldnt test it every day. It wastes you amonia test kit. Just spend a week adding amonia (after you get it around 3-5ppm..thats where most websites i have read said to start it from) and then test it...if the amonia is down, then test the nitrites (if its not down, give it some more time..test again in 2 or three days)...give that a week, test nitrites again, if those are down, run all your tests...everything is where it should be, do 25% water change, feed the tank, and test all again the next day. If everything held up, its time to do your big water change (to get rid of nitrates) and go get your fish.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
too much ammonia IMO. I'd do a water change to lower the concentration and just wait, or try seeding with something. And remember, cycling is a process that takes time, it won't happen in a week, perhaps even a month. My 29' took six weeks to cycle, with the addition of products like stress coat and stress zyme which make the growth of your beneficial bacteria favorable. In the end, be patient, it'll happen. took almost a week just to see ammonia, then another two to see the nitrite spike. Good luck
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 18:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
It's not too much ammonia. If you want to speed it up a bit, just go buy some Cycle. It what I use. Just nitrobacter and nitrosomonas in solution. It doesn't work magic, but it does make sure you've got some bacteria to start the colonies in there. Best of all, it doesn't mess with your water chemistry like a lot of other brands. The instructions on the bottle say to seed it and then continue to add every week after the tank is cycled, however you don't really need to do that. Once it's cycled, the colonies can do thier work without new bacteria being added.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 19:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies