L# Old for new
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOld for new
black.cat
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 465
female australia
It's been a long while since I've had a tank going, 4 years or so. I still have all my old equipment is there anything I need to do besides a good wash? Should the tanks still be good? They have just been sitting on their stands with the gravel in them.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2010 04:10Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Hopefully they're still good!

If anything it's just the seal that may have degraded. I'd set up the tanks on an old towel, or newspaper somewhere where it won't matter if they leak. Then fill each tank just a little bit, maybe use the water in the tank to give the gravel a good rinse then remove the gravel and keep rinsing it till it's clean. Once the water is no longer sloshing around mark the level with a piece of tape or non permanent marker. Wait for 12 hours to make sure the water level remains the same, then fill the tank a bit more. Depending on the size of the tank you might want to do it in small increments so as not to risk forcing an already questionable seal. If both the bottom and side seals are good you should be fine to get everything up and cycling.

If the seals do need redoing, make sure the tank is drained and fully dry before resealing them. And follow the directions on how long to wait before refilling. If you don't use LFS purchased silicone, make sure you don't get any with antibacterial in it as it can leak out and into the water.

welcome back to the fish!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2010 05:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
So, b.c how'd it go?

success

Fingers crossed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2010 12:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies