AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Please help with 90G tall stocking issue!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlease help with 90G tall stocking issue!
gothiquemommie
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
female usa
Recently we purchased a 90g tall in order to return to the hobby from a considerable break. However now I am completely confused with what the recommending stocking would be for this tank. Currently we have 14 neon tetras, 6 cory cats, 2 swordtails, 4 hatchet fish and 11 guppies. Now I am wondering if I can safely add more fish? And if I can add more fish any possible suggestions on what else would live happily in this tank? And is there a dummies version formula for stocking?

Thanks for the help!
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 09:54Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
What are the dimensions? I've never heard of a 90g tall tank. My standard 90 is already higher than any other tank I'd want. Any stocking formula is tentative and would have to be altered to fit your exact tank dimensions and type of fish anyway. Better off just asking someone who's stocked similar sized tanks than trying to apply strict rules to something with so many variables.

You should increase the hatchets and possibly the cories. These are schooling fish and like to have at least 6 of their own kind. Larger groups would be much appreciated and would likely lead to healthier, more colorful, and more active fish. The only other problem I see is if the guppies are of both genders your going to have issues in the near future unless you already have plans for the fry. Guppies by themselves can overstock a 90g in just a few months. I had 1 young female provide enough fry that I had several dozen male offspring in my 90g and the females filling up a 20g and two 10s before I found a place to take them all. That's even with keeping all males and females seperate so I only had 1 breeding. You could probably add a gourami or several depending on species or an angel or 2 which would provide a centerpeice fish while helping cut down on the guppy population explosion that's likely to occur in the next month. Most plecos are also a possibility so long as you stay away from really large ones like commons and sailfins. Depending how big you make your current schools and what your going to do with the guppies you could possibly add a third group of small schooling fish. Rainbows would be interesting or a school of 8-10black neons in with the regular neons could be eye catching.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 22:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Welcome to FP goth!

If you're into taking pictures, I'd like to see one of that 90 gal. some day!
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Is there anything in particular you're interested in adding?

I also agree about increasing the number of hatchet fish.

Are your swordtails a pair? If so, between them and the guppies you do have the potential for a lot of fry. An angel would be nice but might eventually turn your neons into snacks. Pearl gouramis are nice or a snakeskin would fit just fine in a 90g.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 00:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies