L# Returning to fish
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeReturning to fish
black.cat
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 465
female australia
Hey I used to be a frequent member around here, but I've not had any fish for a looooong time (probably 10 odd years). I still have my old aquariums, filters, lights etc, I will need to check the seals to see if they are still water tight. What is the best way to go about making sure everything is still in good working order? Just stick various bits into a bucket and see what happens? To be honest, I haven't even gone and worked out aquarium sizes yet but from memory I have a 40gal and a 60gal.

Now my 8yr old daughter is thinking about fish. To begin with I want to just set up one and see how we go. So hit me with your beginners set ups, which size tank would you go with, plants and fish? They need to be available in Australia. I had forgotten how exciting looking at fish could be
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2017 09:41Profile PM Edit Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
Welcome back! Best way to test the tanks is to fill them up with water and see if they leak As to the rest, once you have a tank filled up, testing filters should be easy enough.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2017 16:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
black.cat
-----
Enthusiast
female australia
I've not tested equipment at all yet, but looking at fish with my daughter, she likes neon tetras (as expected) I still like bristle nose catfish and we both like angel fish, so I was thinking maybe 6 neons, 4 angels and two bristle noses. I haven't had angels before. Does that sound okay? Would the angels eat the neons?
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2017 06:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
male usa
At some point the angels will get big enough to eat the neons, yes.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2017 14:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
black.cat
-----
Enthusiast
female australia
Would congo tetras be a better match would you say?
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2017 08:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
male usa
In terms of size, I think so. I don't know enough about Congo personality to know how they'd do with other fish in a community tank setup.

Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2017 14:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
danniwavy
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male usa us-california
How are you and your tank doing?
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2017 07:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies