SubscribeStarting 10 Gallon
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by skyeye
ok ummm if u read my other topic youll know my tank is suffering from massive limescale buildup and so far viniger and a razor blade isnt working (the hoods been soaking over a hour in a half a bottle of straight viniger, and still wont scrape off with a razor) but ahh well.

Im going to have to buy a new 10 gallon i guess

so heres what i got

gravel- about 10 gallons of brown pea gravel that was in my 55 gallon for over a year and a half (will be washed b4 I use)

heater- my room normaly stays pretty warm, but im going to get a heater thats made for a 5 gallon incase it dips down a bit, and i have a older heater that i use in emergencies because it doesnt relly cut off like its supposed to.

filter- i have 3 things i plan on useing for filtration

1. A standerd mech filter with the cartridges.

2. A eco aqualizer, i love this thing to death, its made for a 10-20 gallon tank and even kept my 55 pretty clear.
3. a circular undergravel filter, not relying on this to much though.

light- im prolly gonna buy a floresent tube hood for it, im useing normal incandesent bulbs atm and they burn out like crazy and keep the tank warm (then agine they compensate for my sucky heater)

airstone- im going to use a 6 inch airstone, but might put a splitter going to the undergravel filter.

air pump- i got one atm, dont know where it so i dont know what kind works very good though, kept my water circulating in my 55 good.

i got plastic plants, slte rock, and other stuff for it, not to worried bout that.

i was planning on gettin bout 4-5 zebras for cycleing, and adding 2-3 corys and 2 gouramis later. cats for bottem gouramis for middle and zebras for top. I know u rnt supposed to overstock, but im pretty sure my setup will be able to handel it, ive ran a 10 gallon stocked alot more heavily than this for a month with the aqualizer alone and super clear water, so i think im in the clear.

i think it would work, what do yall think?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 03:00Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
sounds good, but work on that lime scale before putting any fish in, if not get a new 10, they are 10 bucks and probably a bit cheaper in time and labor and products than trying to clean up the old one. if the gravel is still in your 55g dont bother washing it as it will be a great help in teh cycling process. your stocking does sound a bit high, but with the filtration and etc you should be ok...

GOOD LUCK!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by skyeye
well one problem with the 55, its been empty for about as long as the 10, so gravels been dry for bout 4-7 months.

my other method of gettin the scale off is seeming to work better, , although i wont know for sure till i empty the tank and dry it in 2 days. already been scrubbing with a clean plastic brillo pad, and the glass looks fairly clean now. Any way imma have to still think bout some stuff, and figure out how much its gonna cost me
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 06:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
male usa
aight not even been a full 24 hours and the glass looks cleaner, but the waters cloudy. it could be a bacteria bloom but i didnt remove chlorine/chlorimine from the water, and i added a liter of viniger!!! how could stuff grow in that? plz say its just clouds of calcium deposits
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 00:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The cloud could be anything. Make sure you rinse everything off real well, even though vinegar isn't all that harmful for fish, still keep rinsing until everything is clear.

As for the lights, switch to compact florescent bulbs, you can get them most anywhere these days. While the heat from the incandescents may help heat the water while they're on they'll be driving the electric bill skyhigh, and will mean that the water temp drops when they are turned off. If your heater cant handle the job you need a new heater. I just lost a large frontosa due to heater issues, and almost lost another fish as well luckily the guy was hanging on and we noticed the heater issue in time.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 02:35Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
male usa
I went and got some stuff for the tank.

a new heater (aquatic gardens brand) seems like a good quality heater

aquatic gardens background (blue on one side, and has plants on the other)

a new hood with a bulb that u recomended (once agine by aquatic gardens)

a bottle of cycle

and some biozyte stuff, supposed to grow nitrafieing bacteria.

I found a ver old digital camera, and if someone can pm me explaing how to post pics here ill post some.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 06:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by Babelfish
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q386/half_sight/Jul2041.jpg that should show the pic

if u can see it, 2 things

1. im sorry the pic sucks, its a crappy 15 $ digital camera.

2. do you think my tank has enough plants?

Edit: fixed the link for you
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 07:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Are those plants real or fake? I see what looks like a lotus in the middle, which will eventually become fairly huge.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2008 20:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies